Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rules surronding fabrication?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Okay, heres my question everyone. Me and a buddy of mine may start fabing certain things up and selling them how ever. When it comes to rocksliders and shackles and stuff like that, that will not kill people if they fail, is there laws that govern them or standard they must pass? and what about things that will kill people if they fail like roll cages? Anyone who has some info on this let me know! And let me know if you want a good deal on some custom metal for your rig!

2. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Wally, if you make a part that fails and causes injury or death you can expect to be sued and maybe even face jail time. Making parts without proper safety precautions will be viewed as negligence in a court of law. If you have doubts about your parts and/or abilities, do yourself and everyone else a favor and learn to do these things 100% correct, get
    certified as a welder, have your parts regularly checked for any defects to include stress-testing and x-raying of welds (and keep all documentation to show you have sufficent quality control standards in place), then incorporate to protect your personnal assets. This is what your parts makers have to do on a continuous basis to protect themselves, their reputation and their clients. Add on taxes, staffing, materials, warehousing and shipping/recieving and it makes parts currently marketed seem like a pretty fair value. But, if you are determined and creative, you just might be the next top off-road parts supplier out there. Good luck, just wanted you to protect yourselves and your clients. Good Luck. Gary

3. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply, acutally i do make the odd thing now but want to trun it more serious, thats why i have some concearns. Is there a governing body for the standards that things have to be made too? Or should i just stick to building things that could not cause harm to people. Not that what i make is junk, just that some times you have to be careful.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

HAHA! I like your sig line. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

not so much a governing body as much as industry standards. "Off-Road use only" products dont have any requirements. Read the standard disclaimer for most "off-road" only speed equipment.

If you can understand and build products to meet general welding standards, quality standards, etc. you will be 99% safe. If you intend any products to be used on the road it is a different story and safety related items will need a lot more attention. Of course you still need to build a good product and have some way of handling defective parts. Look around at the industry and pay close attention to all the legal stuff they put out. Most is simple "not responsible for..." type of disclaimers.