Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rumor has it

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That there is some big crack down on street racers comming down out there on the west coast. I hear they are targeting the little ricer cars mostly. Pulling over for inspections, and impounding if any illegal parts are found on the cars. That's the rumor anyways.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's kind of old news. Every so often, several CA agencies will get together after finding out where a street race will be and they show up, complete with smog inspectors in tow. :D

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Good , serves them right .

Out here for ten bucks I can watch or race , with a full safety crew on hand every Friday except certain sanctioned event nights .

I understand in roddings early days , when we had no tracks yet , street racing happenned .

But these younger guys have no excuse .

If they can afford to build it , they can afford to go to a track . Nearly every state has at least one by now , right ?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

From what I understand, they will set up portable inspection stations at random locations and start pulling over cars that fit the profile. Not just at illegal races, but whenever and whereever they choose at the time.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Profiling is wrong and illegal. I learned that from the blue collar comedy tour.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not just those that fit any profile. What ever cars they feel like. I've heard of it, but haven't seen it locally. Yet.
    Supposedly they have to put up signs just like they have to do for DUI stops.

When MISF was the Smog Referee in this area he got pulled over. Officer wrote him for tinted windows. And then commented that he figured MISF's Hugger Orange '69 Gran Prix "probably wasn't smog legal either." That car passes stds for cars 10+ years newer. When you have unlimited 3 gas analyzer time, the state of tune tends to get better. :D
    MISF said "If you think that is true, write the ticket. We'll let the Judge decide who is right."

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"illegal" racing popular here too...

A few months ago,local and state police had a crackdown on illegal racing at a nearby industrial park--every sunday they would "take over" the park,and people from up to 100 miles away were coming to race illegally,and place bets on who wuould win..the local cops were well outnumbered,and too busy with other issues to "bust" illegal racers for the most part..

A guy on an ATV was crippled when he was struck by a mustang gt while it was in a race--after that,the cops got serious,and closed the place down...now there are DEEP potholes all over the industrial park roads,from the semi's and harsh weather,that they are not in any huury to fix,saying it discourages the racers from coming back--several "speed bumps" have been added also,to the dismay of local residents,who now have to live with the crashing of tractor trailers over them day and night...

There is only 1 racetrack nearby,Seekonk Speedway..its a 1/4 mile oval track,mostly used for demolition derbies and "roundy-round" races..New England Dragway is over 100 miles north of here in NH,and if the officials in MA had a brain in their skulls,they would build another dragstrip instead of another Wal-Mart..there are plenty of folks who would use and support one here--but all the "not in MY backyarders" shoot down any proposals for a raceway..It certainly would cut down on illegal racing,and the resulting accidents,etc,if they had a legal place to do it!..trouble is,there is hardly a place large enough left to build one in my state anymore,so much development has ocurred... :( :crazy:

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

They're doing that in Texas as well but in all honesty I think the enforcement is getting out of hand. Here, they can and will impound your car for "racing, aggressive acceleration, or loss of traction." Which means if you chirp a tire around a corner in your truck because of the detroit or spool, you're f-ked. And it happens like that too. Dont get me wrong, I hate street racing and swerve at people that are doing it (crewcab longbed 4x4s have quite an intimidation factor on ricers) so I'm glad they are taking preventative measures but like I said, I think its gone a little too far.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Happens here too...

Yes,they are confiscating a lot more cars and trucks than ever here too!..I see a big jump in the number of vehicles for sale at the U.S.Marshall's sales,and the Government auctions held nearby...most of them are from drug busts,but a lot of towns are now confiscating cars of people caught with prostitutes,and they also revoke your licence! :eek1: ..

You would not believe how many of them end up in junkyards,after the owners get sent to jail!--many cars we got had trunks full of stuff,like brand new floor jacks,tools,leather jackets,subwoofers,etc...most of them we had to punch the lock out of the trunk to see what was in there!--I could not believe the police didn't search the cars first..(more than once illegal contraband was in the trunk! :eek1: :whistle: --I'm suprised we found no bodies in them! :eek1: )..

I bet it wont be long before they take them for "burning rubber" or speeding like you say they are doing in your area..I HAVE to peel out if I want to get out of the busy intersection of my street and a local busy highway!..all I hear is rubber squealing all day!...either brake marks,or someone doing a burnout,trying to merge into traffic..nobody around here will have a vehicle if they start doing that here!.. :screwy:

I wish they would build a racetrack here--I'm sick of all the hareleys,crotch rockets,and fast cars using the highway in front of my house as a dragstrip..its been pretty quiet this year compared to last year though--maybe they are patrolling more,and I'm sure gas prices are discouraging a lot of "joyriding"...I know I hardly go anywhere any more! :mad: :crazy:

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Impuonding a car for exhibition of speed or speed contest is nothing new. In Ca. and most states, the ability to impound a car for committing this type of violation has been around for years. The question is, after they impound the car, can they do asset seizure on it. For most vehicles, it isn't worth the time and effort. Unless you seize a new high dollar car, it costs more than it is worth to go through the hoops. So, the vast majority of imports with a giant Folgers exhaust pipe, a cheap flourescent intake from Wal-Mart with a K&N knock off filter, a white steering wheel, and 1,400 race stickers on the windows isn't going to be worth anybody's time. The best deterrent is simply to tow it in the first place. Tow fee is usually a couple of hundred. Storage runs close to a hundred a day. Then there is usually some kind of fee you pay the law enforcement agency, city, or county to get a release. When you are done, some of the fees exceed the value of the car and the tow company gets to put a lien on it for cost recovery. By the way, profile stops are verboten everywhere and are not used or condoned. Checkpoints, like the DUI checkpoints, are still used. They are strictly controlled however and have to be advertised prior to being deployed and there are lots of regulations as to how they implement them. If you can't figure out how to avoid a checkpoint, you really probably shouldn't be driving anyway, or even breeding for that matter.......

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

funny as hell what 2 fast 2 furious open up here, the MTO (our provances dot) set up shop at the theater and waited till the movie was over!!!!

all the ricers had to go to the walmart parking lot for a full inspection and the works LOL a lot got nailed that night :haha::haha::haha:

12. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where do you live because the smog ref around here (couple of years ago) had a huggar orange grand prix?

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Here is how it works. A tow company (in CA) can only charge an hourly rate that they have summited to the local and state law enforcement agencys. If a tow companys hourly rate is say $150 an hr then that is all they can charge. There is a one hr. minimum and after one hr they must charge by the minute there after. Most companys only charge a storage rate of $40-60 per day. As soon as a car hits their lot they can claim a days storage right then and there, but then they must wait 24 hr's to charge for the second days storage. After that at 12:01 am (third calender day) they get to tack on another days storage.

Not at all true. A lot of people belive this cause some towing companys will say that to get more money out of people. If there is a hold on a vehicle then all the person needs to do is go to the local law enforcement and show proper DL, insurence and registration in order to get a release. With out those three things their pretty much screwed. Most of the time there is no release needed and the vehicle is usually picked up in the first 24-48 hr's. One thing that will fock a person hard is when a 30 day hold is put on the vehicle. It's a win lose situation for the tow companys cause they either have a vehicle worth thousands collecting storage that they may end up with or a $100 POS taking up space in the lot that they usually end up getting stuck with that probably would never pass smog.

I cant belive I have to deal with all that crap on a daily basis.

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

He worked the old Carpenteria office.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I had to tow a POS abandoned on the side of the road the other day. My poor dispatcher sent the tow truck 30 miles in the wrong direction............. :eek1:

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sorry to get a little off toipc. But............
    :eek: I cant believe how gleeful some of you guys seem over the government setting up check points to harass citizens. Personally I think any kind of a government checkpoint wether DUI, Smog, or what ever is a total invasion of privacy and a waste of police officers time and taxpayer money. It reeks of Communism and Big brother.
    I am glad I live in a place where the local DA believes in the.................
    4Th Ammendment.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    He refuses to prosicute any violation obtained in a Checkpoint. So if the local law dogs want to do a checkpoint they have to import the state attourney general's office lawers which costs a lot of money. So they just dont bother with them. Not having a bunch of manpower tied up in a stupid checkpoint means the cops are out on the street doing their job.
    Our DA is always re-elected by a large margin. he sometimes runs un opposed.
    Be careful about laughing at people being harassed by the law. You may be next. How high is your bumper off the ground?
    (See my sig?)

17. Desert Rat

It depends on where you are from. Here is a direct quote from one of our largest agencies in the SF bay area right off their website:

"If you are interested in obtaining a vehicle release, the following conditions must be met:
    1)You must be the registered or legal owner of the vehicle.
    2)The vehicle must be currently registered with DMV.
    3)You must have a valid driver’s license or bring a licensed driver with you.
    4)You will need identification for yourself.
    5)Effective July 1st, 2005, the new vehicle release fee of $101.00 is required. This fee must be paid in the form of cash, cashier’s check or money order, payable to the City of XXXXX.
    Additional tow charges will be paid to the tow company. Standard tow fees are $110.00 for the initial towing, $36 per day storage fee, plus any additional handling charges. Tow companies will accept cash, personal check or credit cards as a form of payment."

Where they can get you is the "additional handling charges". I've seen extra money tacked on for indoor storage if the vehicle needs to be covered, is being held for prints or as evidence, or is a motorcycle. So, let's say your car is impounded for 30 days, is a convertible with the top down, and is in the above mentioned city. You are looking at the $110 for first tow, $36 times 30 plus indoor fees which say add an extra $14 a day for $50 a day, plus the $101 to the city. 30 day long expense equals $1,711 I'd say that is a pretty good spanking. However, if the vehicle is a nice Miata, or some other pricey convertible, and the tow co. gets to keep it, it would well be worth their while. But you are right, for the average POS that usually gets impounded becase the driver is unlicensed or suspended, it might not be worthwhile. But, I would contend that there is definitely money to be made. There are many tow companies around here that compete fiercely for contracts with law enforcement to do impounds. It is so bad that in one large city, it is actually divided up geograpically with each of the half dozen tow companies getting a certain zone in the city where they get all LE calls for tows. They periodically have to go to bid for the City for that zone competing with other tow companies. What is killing the tow companies around here is storage space. Bare land in the SF bay area runs about a million an acre minimum if you are in major city limits.

For Thunder, checkpoints are only done periodically in most jurisdictions and don't cost much to run. And, like many LE operations, it isn't the productivity of the actual checkpoint that is so much the goal, as is the message it sends to the driving public to obey the law. Setting up a radar operation and writing several dozen tickets at a location that is the subject of many citizen complaints is the same thing. Making a public spectacle of a drug raid, bar check, or any other publicized operation follows the same philosphy. It is message sending. Checkpoint enforcement is no different than any other law. If an agency or jurisdiction never ever enforces a certain law, then the message to the general public is that they can violate that law at will and there will be no consequences. Checkpoints are more of a PR event designed to keep people on the straight and narrow. Also, when you sign up to drive, you voluntarily agree to abide by laws regulating driving. Driving isn't a right guaranteed by the Constitution, it is a privilege provided to those that agree to follow the laws regulating driving. The fourth amendment also doesn't prohibit searches based upon probable cause absent a warrant in many circumstances. Your D.A.'s choice not to prosecute is less about whether or not checkpoints are constitutional, and more about the preferences of local society in what they want to see prioritized as well as somebody wanting to get re-elected. How is it an invasion of your privacy when an agency has to broadly disseminate and advertise the location and purpose of a checkpoint, follow strict guidelines approved by the courts for compliance with civil rights, and is done on public streets open to the scrutiny of observers, lawyers, the courts, media, watchdog groups, etc.? By the way, if your bumper is a violation of the vehicle code, it doesn't take a checkpoint to catch that. It is much more likely that you will be pulled over by an officer while driving around. If you don't like bumper laws, or any other law for that matter, then the place to make your voice heard is the voting booth. If you vote for people who believe as you do, but still lose, then you have to live with the consequences, or move. Being prosecuted for violating a law isn't harassment, it is the result of your choice to violate the law and isn't the fault of law enforcement or the courts. A society chooses by majority what it wants on the books. Just because you personally don't agree with the law doesn't mean it is harassment. If I had my way, smog laws would be quite simple. If what comes out of your tailpipe meets spec, who cares what is under the hood. So, I vote all the time for smog law changes in Ca. Guess what? I live in a land controlled by tree huggers and the smog laws keep getting worse. So, I live with it and when I retire, I'll move to an area more in line with what I consider common sense.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just so You know I run a towing company and We are contracted with the CHP, in addition We do all the evidence tows in Our area.

The only thing that needs to be stored inside is an evidence vehicle and that is at the request of the CHP not all evidence tow are stored inside. We store motorcycles inside at our own choice ($5.00 extra) for the simple fact of theft. Now on the other hand if We get a convertable with the top down or a car has windows that wont roll up it sits out side no matter what the weather is. In fact an indoor storage facility is not required, We also have the option of fenceing off part of out lot with barbed wire, but We chose to do indoor instead.
    I personally could care less what happens to some douchbag drunk drivers car. If it get 30 days of rain on the seats then to bad.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So let Me get this right, We have the same dispatcher :haha:

20. Desert Rat

I'm pretty familiar with towing cars myself. Every area has different regulations and procedures. When I had my first motorcycle wreck, they stored the bike inside and charged extra for it in the city in which I live. In the city where I work, any serious evidence tow ends up in a police impound vehicle. But, some of the smaller surrounding cities pay a premium to the tow companies here for inside storage. What did you think of that $101 towing charge to the city coffers? That is becoming more and more popular, charging citizens for cost recovery whenever possible. Another major city in the bay area is charging $185 to that city just for a release fee and they tack on a "vehicle transfer fee" of $22 if your car is in the lot for over 24 hours to move it from long term to short term storage. In the small city I live in, they are charging $170. It is quite an eye opener for folks to go the tow yard, then be sent to the city to pay, then back to the tow yard to pay again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005