Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

run on??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Nov 18, 2001.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hello again here is my problem when I turn the engine stock 350 off sometimes it will studder as it shuts off or idle on. So to stop that I have been turning off the ignition off in gear ??????????? any thoughts.I have new plugs,cap,rotor,wires,new accellerater pump,fuel filter,all the standard tune-up stuff.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I believe that if your timing is too far advanced it can cause your engine to diesel or run-on after it's shut off. Might be worth it to recheck your timing........

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Its either timing or its idle. If you idle is to high it will do this also. I have that problem in my firebird. I have the idle so its 1000 in gear and 1200 in park so it will idle. If I shut it off in park it runs on if I shut it off in gear it is fine. Lower your idle 100 rpms and see if it goes away.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

thanks juat had to take back my new tach so I will put it back in tommorow -thanks

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Also, if you engine is running rich it will build up carbon depositis in the combustion chambers. Those carbon deposits act kind of like glow plugs in a diesel. They stay hot enough to ignite the fuel even after the ignition has shut off thus the engine trys to keep running. That opens up a whole cam of worms including timeing, maybe some bad plugs, carberator, etc.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If this is your 73, it won't apply, but my '83 with AC (assuming it was for AC, could care less, ditched it) had a kickup(?) solenoid for the AC on it, and it started to fail, so that when I shut the truck off, it forced the throttle open more, and it kept running. Unplugging the solenoid fixed the problem.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?