Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Run the front axle open?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84blazin, Dec 13, 2004.

1. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

My auto locker on the left front is seized up.. can I take out the auto lockers and run my front axle open until I get manual lockers?

Side note - dropped the front driveshaft just need to find a shop to rebuild and lengthen it about 4 inches.. Fixed the tailgate window motor just to have the new one burn out to.. I need to get a new switch that what burn the motor out in the first place :mad: Should have new tires by the first of the year.. then maybe I can hit the trails with you AZ guys :)

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can't drive without the hub in place. If you have your driveshaft out then don't worry about it until you get new lock out hubs. BTW, needing an extra 4" on the stock front shaft sounds like a lot. :thinking:

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I have some manual ones on a 10 bolt that im thinking about parting out. PM me.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Just cover the hub with some duct tape and paint it black if it matters. You don't want to run it with the hub locked on the streets.

5. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

4 inches is what Im estimating.. When I pulled it off it basically fell into two pieces.. When the PO did the lift he must of kept the stock driveshaft on.. dunno.. didnt get too much information. My fault :doh: Just talk to my uncle and he's got some manuals over at his place.. Just need to pull them from the axle. As Monster Garage would say " FREEBIE"

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Austin , let me know if you need help , been awhile since I went out that way :thumb:

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

if you run a front axle without hubs, it will drive just like an axle with the hubs unlocked...because that is what it basically is. Like Esteban said, just cover the hole up with something to keep the wheel bearings in good shape.