Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Run without a front driveshaft on a fulltime 4x4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Sep 30, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

I have a 75 k-10 with the 203, and fulltime. Im about to do a 7" spring lift. Can I run without the front driveshaft (just for a few weeks till i can afford to get the shaft lengthened) or will this cause problems. Thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im doing the same on my 79, i think it wil be fine in any range, i dont see why it would cause any problem. what overall length do you need ? I know of a couple shafts for sale, one is just under 30" long overall when fully collapsed which is too long for my stock height 203 truck by about 2"

3. 78K5395MT

78K5395MT Registered Member

no problem, just like unlocking your hubs. you should definitely be fine for a few weeks. just make sure you re-lube your diff when you replace the shaft.

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

You will need to put the case into the Lock Position. Otherwise, you will not move. Differential in the t-case sees the missing shaft as lack of traction, and will take the path of least resistance. (No power to rear) /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Having fun w/ the '75? I had to lift my Blazer to compensate for the "Empty Nest"! LOL
    You do have to LOC the transfer case to get it too move w/o the front shaft. Do not go too long or you could damage the case.
    Good luck!
    Doc

6. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

I sure am Doc. About to do the suspension lift, and a 3" body. and run those 38's. I took off the front bumper and cut out the front fenders, and took off the tailgate. Also sprayed the bed black. Put a dual stabilizer on it, and Im gettin a frame brace welded on next week. Ill have some pics for ya in a couple a days. Cut the mufflers off too. Its pretty loud, but thats how I like it. Kind of an excuse to not put a stereo in it. Got stainless steel brakelines, and a steering arm on too. Shes runnin great after I got a tune up. Thanks a bunch man. Ive had so much fun workin on this truck so far, and it's worked great.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I drove mine almost 2 months without a front drive shaft. Well, it sat in the driveway mostly, but did get driven occationally. Had an unexpected bill of moving a trailer house, and the Blazer had too wait. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oops thats right., yeah wont go anywhere when isnt in one of the two loc ranges, i dont knwo what i was thinking, :S

good luck

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

i know a guy who has ran his for over a year w/out a front driveshaft. I didn't do any damage. When we pulled his tranny to replace it, we pulled the t-case and took it to get checked out. The guy opened her up, took a look, and replaced some seals. He said bolt it back in, it doesn't need a thing! You should be alright running it temporarily. I ran mine for 2 months w/out a driveshaft. It's a DD too. I had no problems. Just remember to lock it in! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

If you have a part time kit installed, you won't need to worry about it cause the diff. parts are gone from the transfer case and it will turn the back drivetrain without the front connected. I have a 75 and found a kit in the NP203 to my surprise.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I will add one thing to all the posts, I did that for a year, the T-case had no problem.
    But when I put Manual hubs on the front, and put back the front driveshaft, in a few weeks I ruined my hubs.
    IceMan