Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Run your diesel on BIO-WILLIE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Mar 6, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I read in Country Weekly Willie Nelson has started a Boidiesel company,and intends to sell it to the public,as well as run his own tour busses and trucks on it!--its going to be called "BIO-WILLIE"!...its true!,not a joke--NO its NOT HEMP OIL!:D :D --hey,maybe thats why they dont want us growing it--it can run a diesel for free...:thinking:

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

shhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you already know to much.

3. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

if diesel keeps goin up the way it is, 2.50 here, weed will be almost cheaper.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna buy a lil scooter. :D

5. diesel4me

I need something like that!

I might have to downsize my "fleet" considerably very soon--with the price of everything to keep more than one vehicle insured,registered and inspected,not to mention a good battery,tires,and other essentials to keep them safe enough to be roadworthy,it gets to be a bit much to pay,just to have one good vehicle is pretty costly--

Its impractical for me to have more than one vehicle in lots of ways,I need a 4x4 to plow my yard(and its more than paid for itself this year!)--but my 79 C10 is mostly a summer toy,its gets driven sparingly in the winter since the body is better than most of that vintage I like to keep it that way--but no room for passengers when travelling,so my van enters the picture!--no one vehicle can do it all,if there was such a thing I'd have one!..the three of them add up to about the same cost as insuring one newer car,so I guess its a toss up in a way--my excise tax bills arent much on my old heaps,but newer cars can cost hundreds every year...

I havent had a motorcycle in years,and I hate the thought of riding one on the streets around here--its scary enough in a car !!--I'm not a fan of riding in the rain either--so a bike isnt really the answer for me--maybe a custom trike with a "C" cab would be cool summer transpotation...maybe that diesel one Jesse James built.....:thinking:

Whatever else I get,it will have to get good mileage,and be REAL cheap to buy--If I end up selling my C10 to live off the cash it brings in,it wont be much or last very long--I'm hoping to find at least a part time job soon...:crazy:

If the gas prices keep climbing I might be riding a moped this summer--or a mini-bike with a 5 hp Tecumseh pirated from my snowblower!--one thing for sure,I'm not sitting home all summer just because I'm broke and gas is expensive--you have to LIVE once in a while too,and life is passing us by while we wait for prices to get better...:(

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

try insuring and feeding a pair of 1 ton duallies (flatbed with liftgate and dump truck), a 3/4 ton(plow truck and backup dump), and a K5(my DD). I can't remember the last time I drove something that got 15mpg. Luckily I live at the cemetery and don't have to drive to work :D

7. diesel4me

Spooky place to live!!

You live in a cemetary??:eek1: :yikes:

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

And here I always thought the screen name was a reference to the monster truck. Who'd of thought he was being literal?

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

LOL, everyone thinks my handle is based on a monster truck. Cool as the gravedigger truck may be my handle is based on that fact that I am indeed a gravedigger. I got the handle many years ago on the CB. The spelling gravdigr came from way back when I used AOhell screen names could only be 8 letters. And it just stuck with me through the years. I also make headstones.

10. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

the bio around here is always $.05 more expensive than the dino diesel. I don't get it. The price is relatively steady on Soy. Sure, the dry weather in South America drove the price up to a whopping $6.20 a bushel yesterday, but it seems to be down. If they want to get into the market more, why don't they undercut the dino market and blow up some. With all of the literature about Bio on the internet and from many reputable sources about the benefits of increased lubricity, especially with the sulfur contents dropping so much in dino diesel, they could make a killing. If they were $.05 more per gallon when dino was $1.85, why can't they still be $1.90, or even $1.95 now that dino is up to about $2.20 or so.

This is the first that i had heard about willie. All we need is someone to take renewable fuels into the next level. There are too many rich people getting richer with oil that the government will never ever ever support an alcohol and Bio powered auto fleet over here.
    [rant off]

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Biodiesel won't be cheaper because the farmers still need to make money. They need to make as much money from selling their crops as they can, 'cause they never know when the gov't subsidies will stop.

Processing the soy & corn into something they can blend into a fuel costs money too, and think about it, if there was no more oil, would biofuels get cheaper, or more expensive 'cause it's the only show in town?

Tom

12. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

I literally understand exactly what you mean. I am a farmer. I understand that it all costs money. Why do we get paid to NOT grow crops. Why are we worried about how the beans are doing in Argentina when we have too many around here. Last I checked, you can still get paid to put some of you less desirable crop ground into grass. Like I was saying, if Bio willie can sell it for $1.79 a gallon and when fuel was $1.85 here, $1.90 for bio, why can't they stick to around $2.00 while dino shoots through the roof? The crop prices remain relatively stable, (big country, sure there are good and bad years, but it keeps well if it is dry). If there was a government backed mandate that said all diesel had to be B20 or so, it would stabilize all fuel prices because of the readily availible, slightly in current surplus, grown here resource. Bio isn't the answer to be ran by itself, it LIKES to be ran with dino. A blend is the right idea. I just don't see why you have to go out of your way and pay more for something that ought to be in every tank in every truck stop and gas station in the nation. It is better for our vehicles and better on emissions. It helps farmers like my family not be so friggin broke. And it would help my piece of junk vp44 pump on my dodge not go out and cost me a grand in doing so because of the lack of lubricity in the low sulphur fuels that you get at the pump that don't have bio in them.
    The government can pay you to not grow, they can subsidize your crops because the market isn't there, why not put some of that money to use to build some storage infrastructure and mandate that you run a bio blend. Oh yeah, they get too rich NOT doing this.

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<<why not put some of that money to use to build some storage infrastructure and mandate that you run a bio blend. Oh yeah, they get too rich NOT doing this.>>

Biodiesel is far away from being mandated for a couple of reasons.. first, it doesn't have near the thermal energy of petro, so big trucks that have to move loads burn more, so it's more expensive for them in the long run.

Also, the emissions reductions that are claimed are all over the map. the SAE tests I've seen indicate an increase in NoX regardless of the blend, and PM emissions fluctuate depending on the engine and test.

There's no standard for lubricity in petro fuel, and there isn't one for biodiesel either. The engine manufacturers have recommendations, but the fuel companies admit that the tests used to determine lubricity are inaccurate because they don't take into account 4200 degree combustion heat.

The whole bio blend thing has struck me as odd. it's not good by itself, because of poor stability and cold weather operation, so what's the point of a b5 , b10 or even a b20 blend? to me, that's just diluted to the point of not doing anything other than stretching the petro fuel supply which maybe is the point.

Willie can do what he wants. I think biofuels are good for people who want to do something for the environment, and a good way for the farmers to make money. I don't think it's a good deal for the guy who's liveliehood depends on moving freight from point A to point B in a cost effective way. Biodiesel varies too much in terms of quality and the outcomes it produces.

Tom