Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Runaway Truck?????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Tasheena, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Tasheena

Tasheena Newbie

What could be the matter with my 1982 GMC 6.2L Diesel pickup?? Starts fine, idles erratic in neutral and in park, but when put into drive it takes off like a bat out of hell. It continues to smoke the tires as though the accelerator had been floor boarded. Then continues to idle up and down between normal and 2000 RPM's.
    Thanks for any suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif mga2002@earthlink.net

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The throttle linkage is pretty straightforward on 6.2s. I would check to ensure it's not binding. There is also a high idle solenoid that moves the throttle when the engine is cold. Other than those two, you might have some type injection pump problem. How many miles?

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a governor problem possibly. The metering valve in the pump may be sticky, or the flex ring on the flyweight cage my by broken. Both are things that need to be fixed by Stanadyne licensed fuel shops. Anything in particular youve done to it lately that may have caused a change, or did this just come out of the blue?

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Could an engine mount be broken and when put in gear the torque raises the engine and doing so the accelerator cable is being moved???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't know just throwing it out there......

Stomper /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, you have an injection pump problem. I agree that the governor is probably messed up. There is also a check valve built into the pump that has been known to crumble and fall apart, and when it does, it can cause symptoms like yours.

You need to remove the injection pump and take it to a Stanadyne pump shop to have it checked and rebuilt.

Casey