Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Runners, athletes, sports people (sports injury?)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, Feb 26, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I used to run / jog quite a bit in high school. My dad is a marathon runner, has run 2 not both at the age of 42. I run more recreational and to try and stay a bit more trim than my 6' 215lb arse is now...I started up again with some nice shoes comfortable and fitting and I think I did a bit too much too soon, got pissed off one night and just went out and ran 4.5miles when I hadn't run in like 6mths...the next week ran 2.5 twice a week and the next week 2miles 3 times the next week, this week i ran 2 and started feeling almost a limp on my right leg, didnt really feel pain but noticed my strides weren't quite even...now this week my right ankle feels a bit sensitive and tonight its stiff....whats the process to heal an injury like this ice 30min heat 30min?, when can i start running again? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

ice and stretching.put a towel around the bottom of your shoe and pull it towards you.good way to stretch.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Also, a good anti-inflamatory (like Motrin/ibuprofin) will bring the swelling down, and further speed healing. I used to run all the time (USMC), and it almosts sounds like you've got a stress fracture. Nothing you can do for that but don't stress the area for a week or two. Running is extremely hard on the legs (ankles, knees, hips) and lower back. A really good stretching routine, warming up, and starting into it slowly will go a long way to preventing injury. If you have a bike, I would ride that until your ankle is healed. Hope you feel better soon.

John

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I went through a bout of plantar fasciitis a few years ago and learned one thing the hard way - get the PROPER shoes for your foot type. Seriously. Go to a running shoe store and ask them to evaluate your stride and foot (overpronator, pronator, etc.) and get the shoe that best fits your body type. I can now run pain free after having to stop running for 2 years because it was so painful the next morning. I am 6'4", 205 lbs and because of my size and weight, along with my foot type, I run exclusively in Asics 2070 (they change the number every year, it used to be 2010, then 2020, etc) and have no problems. The other thing is to replace them every 300 miles (more or less depending on your body weight, the more you weigh the more often you will need to buy new ones). My wife can go much longer than me, but she's weighs almost 95 lbs less than I do. Then I use the 'old' retired running shoe for knock around shoes, so I always have fresh running and knock around shoes.

As far as your injury, give it rest and start back more slowly, AFTER you get fitted for the right shoe. Believe it or not, there are many different shoes available.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

As one who has done a few hundred miles on the old legs, the only thing I have to say about running is that IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!

6. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah you just need to slow down a bit and get the right shoes. i always over do it when i run, sometimes i can barely walk the next day.

Anyone else ever been on a hash house harriers run?