Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

runnin different tire sizes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Nov 1, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Would it be OK to run 38.5x15 gumbo mudders up front and 40x17 hawgs in the rear?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sure you can, but you're going to break something, that's too much of a difference in size. </font color>

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I used to wonder the same thing. I wanted 44's in the rear and 42's in the front, since they don't make a 44 that narrow. People talked me out of it. In 2WD, you can't really hurt anything though, right?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 2wd would be fine, but what's the point in that? You could probably run like 38s and 44s if you figured out some different gear ratios for the axles so the final drive was equal with the different sized tires. </font color>

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

If you go ahead with the different sized tires, keep it in 2WD on pavement. Save 4WD for the gooey stuff so ya don't break nothin /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

not hard to figure out if you have the actual tire circumference and get lucky on the correct gear ratios being available for your axles

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's been done before with the Quagmire.
    I have done some calculations and I was planning on doing something similar, but then I thought, no it's been done, I want something different.
    Now some serious mud racers actually do use the staggered sizes, like a 39.5 in the back and 38.5 in the front to have more of a rear wheel drive feel, and the front is for support and turns, but that is only in really gooey places.

8. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

guess i wont be doin that then, cause my truck is a daily, and i only have enough fundage for 2 40's, guess ill just keep savin.

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a year or 2 back in the Top Truck Challenge the pink open fender truck has smaller tires in the front than back and the gearing to make up for it.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For the type of trails we have in North GA I would stay same size all the way around. If you were mud bogging sometimes will runn different gear front and rear or different size tires. Spining the front tires a little faster helps keep the truck in a straight line and on top of the mud. for the types of trails around here I would not advise this.