Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Runnin' Hot ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rail87K5, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Rail87K5

Rail87K5 Newbie

Runnin\' Hot ?

Need Help! OK here's the deal.
    I've got a 87 350 fuel injected auto trans. After the thing starts up and I get to highway speed the temp gauge pegs! Almost to the red(!), I slow down (get off the gas) for about 30 seconds and the gauge goes back to normal. After I'm at highway speed, and I get on it, the temp gauge steadily climbs back to 240 or 250 ! I get off the gas, and in less than a minute, it's back to normal temp??? Note, I get no "Hot Smell" at this point. If I stay off the gas and just cruise the temp is normal. It will idle forever and not get hot.
    It sat for 13 months. I put a 6" lift and 35X15's on it right before the trouble started. Here's what I"ve done to try and fix the trouble.
    New thermostat, flushed old radiator, new temp sending unit, verified clutch fan is operating correctly, NEW radiator, hoses ect. Now I'm down to two things, bad gauge (which I'm leaning toward) or auto transmission running hot.
    Do I need a need new gauge or a transmission cooler?? I bought the rig new in 87, so it's my baby. Never had this problem before. 157,000 miles, Jacobs electronics ignition, K&N filter, Flowmaster Dual exhaust.
    I'm new to the site, go easy on me. But I know the answer is out there. Great site!!
    Rail

Call me a pavement Pounder...........But I'm working hard to change!!!!!!!!!!

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Re: Runnin\' Hot ?

my guess is the gauge as well. Test it and see what happens.

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Welcome to the site! You did everything that was coming to mind as I read your post. I'd stick a tranny cooler in there anyway, can't really harm it and it does benefit the tranny.

Does the temp go down if you turn on the heater and blower on high, while still trying to create the symptom?

Also, make sure there's no crud built up on the AC condensor in front of the radiator that would block airflow.

I'd also try a mechanical guage ASAP. Stock guages get funky after a few years, but these symptoms sound a little wierd for a guage problem, unless the guage is reading higher than it should (my experience is that they usually just stop working all together).

Good luck!!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Buy yourself a mechanical temp gauge too to compare with your electric one.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

5. Rail87K5

Rail87K5 Newbie

Thanks, I'll check the AC condenser.
    No change when the heater and blower is on. It doesn't matter.
    Rail87k5

Call me a pavement Pounder...........But I'm working hard to change!!!!!!!!!!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you lose power as well when it heats up, or not noticeably? If you do lose power, I'd check your converter when the vehicle gets hot. (typically glow red when they are messed up) Partially obstructed, it could be a cause. Just something to look at.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?