Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running 35's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nightmare73, Jul 2, 2005.

1. nightmare73

nightmare73 1/2 ton status

:truck: Good Evening! Hopefully someone out there can help me. I just bought an 87 3/4 Silverado. It has a 4" lift and 35's. It is my daily driver. But I like to take it off road sometimes. The problem is the front tires smash up my front fenders. Will a 6" lift help this? My understanding is that it won't, the lift will just move my axle back and the tires will rub more when the suspension is compressed. I don't like the look of body lifts. I would be willing to trim the fenders if it can be done so that it still looks stock( I haven't seen that yet ). Any ideas?

2. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Don't know how much of the stock look you want to keep, but this shows you tips on cutting your fenders. http://coloradok5.com/fendertrim.shtml.

As for the 6" of lift moving your axel back I cannot see why if they are just lift springs the same length.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Trim the part that sticks out over the inner wheelwell . Several options after that . You can bend the fender in and weld it , or leave it alone . I have to do mine too in anticapation of 35's . and will trim mine , it won't be that ugly :D

4. nightmare73

:truck: Thanks for the info and pics. If I cut the fenders I will want to keep the fender trim. I was just told by an unreliable source that lifting it higher will move my axle back and will still have the same problem. Maybe I'll look in to lifting it. How will it look? I don't want tires larger than 35's.

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm running the setup you're looking for just on a blazer instead. I'm running 6in springs with 35in tires. I don't get too much rub. the only real time they rub is when they are completly flexed and turned one way or the other. Even then they don't hit too bad.
    I'm not on my main computer so I don't have any pictures right now. I'll be back home in a couple days and I can put some up if no one has by then.
    for now you can check out my webshots pictures there should be some that can give you an idea of the look (the blue blazer)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/mtnman210

hope this helps a little

6. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

So you have just bought a 87 3/4 ton and your looking for HELP and IDEAS ? :thinking:

Well here is a IDEA that might HELP you get out of the terrible situation your in.. How about you let me take that truck off your hands :D

You should be fine with a 6 inch lift and no trimming with 35's.. I don't see why or how your axle placement would change just by going 2 inches bigger..

FWIW I plan on running 36.5's with a 6 inch lift on a 84 like yours..

7. ne14muddin

ne14muddin Registered Member

I'm running a 6 in suspension lift with 36x13.50x15 irocs and i dont rub at all.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Find the backspacing on your wheels and then see how it compares with the guys who don't have any problems with rubbing, also if you don't wheel it that hard... lower your bumpstops,

If it were mine I would trim the fenders and then bend the trim ring into shape to fit the larger opening, I have seen this done but can't help as to how to do it. I would not go 6" and 35's if it were mine. My K5 sits in 6" springs and 38's and I wish I had done a 4" and a lot more fender trimming

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running 5" and 35's on a 3/4 Burb with no problem. I can get it to rub at full flex while turning, but it "adjusted" itself. :doah: You might try some zero rates for another inch (and you can move the axle) and a little trimming. Cheap and easy.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

http://community.webshots.com/photo/383912091/383915842XtGDdT

haha thats 8" and 35s

just a little small, prolly go with 38s when the money comes.

i had like 3" before and 35s and i was tired of messin up my tires everytime i turned the wheel, at least now i dont gatta worry about it.

6" and 35s would be fine

11. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Right now I am running 33 12.5 15 on stock suspension. 8 inch wide wagon wheels and I only rub at full flex when turned fully. I don't know why but I don't think I would need alot of lift to run 35's. I might just let the grinder install them 35's for me with no lift. Better ride.

12. nightmare73

:truck: I'm thinking about trying a 6" lift. EZ ride up front and ORD's shackle flip in the rear with 2" blocks or is there a 2" EZ ride spring for the rear to combine with the shackle flip? If the tires still rub after this then I'll get out the grinder. Also thanks to everyone for your input it's very valuable.

13. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

You can get 2 inch springs and add the shackle flip to get 6 inch lift in the rear..