Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running 38's

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Dec 11, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Running 38\'s

I'm ready to buy the front springs for my 72 blazer and I wanted to get some comments on how much lift I should do. I want to run 38 TSL's or the 37 goodyears.

Here's the present plan for the front:
    6" Tuff Country HD Springs
    Hill 4wd shackles (another Inch)
    Maybe Zero Rates If relocation is Necessary

Plan for the Back:
    Echobit Shackle Flip
    Longer Shackle to get a true 6"
    Zero Rates to center the axle in the wheel well.
    Maybe some later model springs with a lower spring rate.

With that suspension and a One Inch body lift do you think I'll have room for the tires? I know it depends on what kind of wheeling I do so I'll try to give a little summary. It will see alot of mud since that's pretty much what we have down here, but I also want to have some decent flex. There are many Off Camber (is that what you call them) spots on our land that I wouldn't mind cutting some trails through. I will be driving it to all the local 'Rod run's, and to my family's camp which is two hours away so I want good ride quality.

As it sits the suspension is unknown. It has a 3 leaf inverse front pack and 2" blocks in the rear. It clears 33's ok but I haven't gotten it crossed up alot.

I don't mind doing a little trimming. I'm thinking of getting a bumper like DP_90K5 has on the front so I won't mind getting rid of the "Fang". On the rear I would like to keep from trimming but if I have to I wouldn't mind trimming like the UAV has in the back. So do ya'll think that I will be able to run 38's or 37's with this suspension without doing major damage to metal and or tires?

TIA,
    James

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Re: Running 38\'s

To fit the 37 Goodyears on my 72 I had to use a 1 inch body lift 5 inch spring in ft with Hill shackles make sure that the wheel base stays at 104.5 for some reson mine had changed to 102. In back I run 4 inch springs with a shackle flip I still had to trip the ft of the rear opening and cut off the part of the ft fender the was below the coresuport. I run a d60 in ft and 14 in back. I also run a MO off road track bar in back as the 14 was killing the springs with wrap.

3. lukefalls

lukefalls 1/2 ton status

To save you from any unwanted surprises, EVERY TRUCK IS DIFFERENT. Body sag and postion on the frame can make a difference, though not likely. I have a 71. When I had six inch springs and I cleared 37x12.5x15 on a 15x8 with 3" of backspacing. I have yet to meet another person whose truck does that (there are probably more). If you don't mind doing a little trimming, you sould befine. I'd do a little body with six inch springs. I will probably anger someone with this, but I didn't like the Hill 4 Wheel Drive shackles. With a six inch spring, you will need to install degree shims for correct caster. My Skyjacker springs had them already bolted on. Once you add the shackle, it changes your caster and you will need to an even larger degree shim. I don't like running more that 4 degrees. Without the shackle, my truck drove much better with less wander on the street. Now for the shackle flip. I love mine, but it does move the wheels foward some. If you can stuff those tires at all, they will hit the front of the fender. Trimming will help. I believer the more clearence you have to start with, the better. I now have a six inch spring with a buggy spring where the shackle mounts. I did a box-drop to keep the caster correct. I use an ORD shackle flip in the rear. I dropped the from spring hanger to level out the pinion (I have a p/u). This with stock springs gave me six inches in the rear, then I added good quality two inch blocks. I also have a three inch body lift. I run 38x16x165, and I can stuff them all the way (long bed that ramps a 895 @ 30 degrees) without doing any body damage. The whells look too small though. Anything bigger would rub at full flex. Hope this book I wrote helps. Good Luck

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I have 38's with a 4 inch lift and ord HD shackels in the frotn anf a ord flip in the back, needed some minor trimming and it sits nice and low. heres a pic about a week ago, in the midst of shortening,installing new box and new back bumper/rear winch mount, keep in mind that mine are only 11.5 inches wide.
    [​IMG]

5. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

9" of lift sounds like an awful lot for a wheeler! If you seriously want to take this offroad maybe swap the 6" springs for 4", it will wheel better ride better and just plan be more livable. Think of it this way the stock wheel wells where designed around small tires so if you want to stuff big tires trimming is mandatory.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I run 38's on 7" of lift with no trimming. I run the 38's on 8" wide wheels. They only rub when I am really twisted up. I have a 4" susp. lift and a 3 " body lift. Here is a pic of how mine looks. I have NEVER rubbed in the rear at all.
    [​IMG]