Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running 4 12" woofers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 78k5, Feb 7, 2001.

1. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

Running 4 12\" woofers

Is it necessary to chamber each speaker or can you just put all 4 in a big box with no chambers? Just wondering.

2. bangin_my_k5

bangin_my_k5 Registered Member

Re: Running 4 12\" woofers

you could but it won't let the speakers work to there potential. It's best to run independent chabers for each speaker but you could run a two speaker per chamber as long as there the same speakers. My buddy has an Exploder with 8 15's independently chambered and he has to keep the sun roof cracked open in order not to shatter his windows.

break em if you can

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

If the subs are wired in stereo, then they need to be separated. If they are running mono, it doesn't matter since they will all be doing the same thing.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

Re: Running 4 12" woofers

like bangin said, you will get better performance out of each sub having its own chamber since the subs will be fighting eachother if they are in the same chamber. you can do 2 subs in one chamber with no damage to the subs, but if one sub is getting more power than the other, then the speaker getting less power will throw out half as far.but for a K5, the best idea i can give you is to use ported boxes unless you are going for complete sound quality, but i doubt that because you want 4 subs. so you most likely want to be just real loud. another thing i will recommend is buying quality equipment, not JC Whitney stuff. if you want specifics in a certain price range then contact me and i would be more than happy to help. but if you only have enough money to buy 4 middle of the road subs, i would sugjest going to two subs, and buying high quality subs and really nice amps. but if you are looking for mostly loud deep bass then a ported enclosure would be the way to go if you can afford to lose some storage space. if you need to keep your storage space, than sealed enclosures can do the job fine, but they wont be as loud and have as much SPL as a ported box(s). please get back to me if you want, i'd like to help you out.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Feel the Thunder
    [​IMG]

5. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I already have the speakers and I took the system that I had in my 4-runner and am going to hook it up in the blazer, I bought 4 rockford 12's and am going to run them with my ppi(sedona)500ix so I will have plenty of power but I just was wondering what would happen if I didn't chamber them. I have built plenty of boxes before but never tried it without the chambers and thought you guys could shed the light for me. thanks alot

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Holly cow! 4?! Do you have any windows left?! How are your ears handling them?

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I am going to mak this short. you will get the best performance out of the subs if they share airspace. Its called coupling. You get more spl this way. If you dont believe me ask Mark Facuda, or Team gates, or any of the other big time hard core bass heads out there. You will want to make sure that you have bracing inside the box so it doesnt flex.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

8. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Well If they're running in a mono mode separate airspace will decrease the amount of space (the wood splitting the speakers) I've got a 95 slowmaro with 4 12" DVC's with 2 punch 200's (2 speakers per amp) and the box is one big enclosure sealed of course, and it rocks. Now if you want your woofers in stereo (don't suggest b/c you won't be getting full power b/c your amp won't be running in mono either 4 or 2 ohm load) So go for the big enclosure sealed and run in mono...

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

9. californiastereo

californiastereo Registered Member

Well, couple of things...
    1. Yes you want to run mono if at all possible. Since you already have your speakers, they must ALL be 4ohm and all the EXACT same model to be in the same airspace... Definitely use the supports, 3/4" wood and lots of wood glue.... No, silicone is not the same....

2. Dumbfounded, you are NOT getting the most fromyour system with 2 amps running the 4 woofers in the same box. Even with a meter, the woofers are not getting the same output at the same time..... NO 2 amps are the same ever. See your birthdates that came with the amps...Anytime there is multiple amps or stereo ran amps, there are different outputs from channel to channel. That is the difference between winners and runner-up.... :)