Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running a Dana 70????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

What does it take to run a D70 out of a dually in place of my FF14 bolt? Is there a difference in width from mounting surface to mounting surface? I think the spring perches are at different widths, but that wouldn't be to hard to change. Are there advantages to swapping to a D70? Disadvantages?

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

They have the 1ton spring perches so you would have to reweld them, It would also be a wider axle, dissadvantage I would say is parts but thats still not to big of a deal.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I will be running a dually front axle w/ stock hummer rims to make up for the wider hub assembly. W/ a wider rear axle I wouldn't have to get as big of a spacer to run the hummer rims on the back...right????

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Since your plan is to run HMMV rims that is the perfect axle for it. It is still slightly narrower than the dually D60 front but you can run with or without spacers depending on if you want to even up the track width with the front.

You have to relocate the spring perches and shock mounts to fit your K5 but that is about it. The Detroit locker for the D70 is also a lot more expensive though. Do you plan on running disc or drum brakes? I'm not sure how hard it would be to put disc brakes on a dually D70 but it wont be as easy as the 14FF.

My plan is about the same as yours to run the HMMV rims without recentering. I believe I have read that you need 2.5" wheel spacers on the D70 to match the front dually D60 track width.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure how hard it would be to put disc brakes on a dually D70 but it wont be as easy as the 14FF.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it helps any, the dually D70 uses the same brakes & hubs as a C&C 14FF.

If using a 14FF SRW bracket, you could weld it to the housing, or fab a new (or move) a backing plate flange and weld it on closer to the spindle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

I've got a D70 dually in my K5 and it bolted right in perfect. I didn't have to move the perches or anything. With the tires I have on it right now it lines up perfect with the body in the rear. My SRW D60 front track is a little wider only because I'm running 2.5" bs wheels because there 15's.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, I would like to keep my 14bolt, because it is already in, welded, etc... My issue is that I think the 1 ton that I just bought has 4.56 gears, so I would rather swap in the D70 than pay for a gear swap in my 14bolt since I don't know how to do it. As far as a locker goes, I will probably just weld up the D70 too because I have been really happy w/ the welded 14bolt. I little hard on tires, but very predictable.
    I should know for sure if I am going to need to swap it in here soon because I am hoping to get the truck home next week. Went to pick it up on Friday night but had some trailer issues and didn't make it. While I was over there to pay for it I looked for diff tags, nothing... and I looked in the glove box for a gear ratio sticker... nothing. Guess I have to pull the covers to find out, and the guy didn't really want a pool of 90wt in his /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif driveway!
    Oh, and the guy said that this truck has a 13,500 GVW instead of 10,000????? What is up w/ that????

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and the guy said that this truck has a 13,500 GVW instead of 10,000????? What is up w/ that????

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's the GVW his title/insurance says. The VIN number dictates the approximate GVWR... 4th digit is 'H' for 9001-10,000lbs, or 'J' for 10,001-14,000lbs. The RPO codes "Jxx" should define an exact GVW rating. The driver's door tag will spell it out also /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif