Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running an auto at extreme angles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 19, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Been heavily thinking my 383 will end up with propane so now I'm wondering if the trans will be able to run the angles the propane would? This is a 700R4. What kind of angles can an auto trans get up to?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

30 some odd thousand off my own miles , hundreds offroad at all kinds of angles , no problems . I run a cooler now but didn't for 3 years of use . Some of the hills here are steep enough so you see sky before you reach the crest :k5: :k5:

And then w ehave nearly everyone here running autos in the built truggys , they get real tippy and have way more power and they seem to hold up .........except Russ's :)

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

They can handle some pretty decent side angles. TheRobzilla gets almost to 90* before he looses tranny prime and the truck stops. His is a Th350.

Harley

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Stock, a Th350 will loose prime anywhere beyond what would be considered "moderate angles". In fact, it will be able to handle driver's side up less than passenger's side up by a few degrees due to offset pick-up.

However, with a "+3" pan and offset pick-up, I can go nearly onto the side before "loosing prime". This is basically the same thing Rob and most of the rock guys do to get more angle.

I also run about 1 qt over full. Any more than that and it blows it out.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that helps I was planning on a deeper pan anyway.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run a 700r4 and my buddy has a C6 and neither of us have had problems. In fact, I have a picture hanging up on my desk at work with my K5 climbing a very steep hill when I got crossed up in a rut so the driver's side front was about 2 feet off the ground.