Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running bias ply swamper on wet pavement? Air down.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Nov 29, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I usually keep my 38x16 Bias Ply TSL's aired up to 30 psi on the road - better mileage etc. But when you hit wet pavement... out goes the back end. Just came back from the desert in a rain storm, through the windy mountains and found that the swampers aired down to 20 psi gripped great, night and day difference. Thought I'd share since its that time of the year!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

30PSI on the road!? damn.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hey - on dry pavement in the city at 30 psi - I get 15 mpg on those tires with a 415ci and they hardly hum at all at 65. Try that at 15 psi! I can't hear anything but the tires at 15psi on the freeway /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not only that but at 15 psi they get Hot!!! Heat is a tires enemy! I've run my 36's at 26-28 psi on road for as long as I've owned them and have gotten good mileage out of them.

Rene

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

have you done the chalk test to see how much tread your actually getting on the road? 17-18 was perfect for mine.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

In southern cali (south of point conception), winter consists of about 2 weeks of light rain unlike you nor cal guys who get it all season long. Running with the tires inflated high makes only the center of the tread ride the pavement which results in longer tire life, less noise and better fuel mileage because there is less tread drag. Its easy to forget to air back down when some weather comes along if your not always in it. Your right, 17-18 is a good for those always in weather.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I would have to think that those high pressures on the street "costs you" in tread life (at least on the center of the tread).... I am envisioning a tire with substantial tread on the outer edges with the center area worn down to the cords!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Just to be clear, we ARE talking about bias-ply tires, right?

BTW -> I'm with Zakk on the "low" pressures. I drove to Moab and back at around 17 psi. My truck weighs in at just under 5000 Lbs, and has almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution. With only 1250 Lbs per tire, they sure didn't get hot, but I DO pay the price in fuel economy (or LACK thereof!) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

hate to but in but

Rain in the desert??

My friends and I run ours at about 30 around here to. But if you aired down around here everyone would look at you funny.

nathan

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it rains in Borrego, sometimes to the point of flash flooding and wiping out roads. I love it when that happens, as infrequent as it is! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Greg:
    It does wear the tires more in the center because thats the majority of the road contact, but it all balances out when you consider how much the side lugs get worn down by the rocks, so they look to be wearing evenly.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

*GASP* some one agrees with me!? Well, Greg, i will miss you even more when you move to the "wrong" coast /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif