Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running Board removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Jan 15, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I just bought an 85 K5 Silverado. It has I think, original checkered plate running boards fitted. I want to remove them but have a few questions..Maybe someone who has taken them off before can help me out.
    How easy are they to remove?
    What was the condition of the paint below? My paint on the whole truck is in excellent condition, I don't really want to have to spray along the bottoms of the doors etc if removing the running boards leaves the paint behind them in bad condition.
    Any help/tips or advice would be gratefully appreciated...
    Thanks guys.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Running boards on the "tub" that I bought weren't anywhere near the sheetmetal really. Were tehy got close to the body was underneath the rockers. To remove, it was a big pain in the a$$. Bolted in the wheelwells, not a big deal. Bolted all the way down the rocker, to the sheetmetal joint at the very bottom. Again not a big deal, but damn thats a lot of holes for rust to form. The worst was that they welded the supports to the damn body under the cab. And they did it on a surface that you can't get to with a grinder. Ended up using an air cutoff tool, and left the welded on sections in place. Other than those four welded supports, it was easy. I hate those things.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When I bought my Blazer it had running boards on them, just unbolt them and throw them in the trash, you will have some bolt holes in the rocker panel seem, I put the bolts back in to fill up the holes, the paint was fine.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

they should be fairly easy to take of not always but usualy lol paint should be ok maybe a little dirty but should wash and buff out ok

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

The trail pretty much took off our yukon ones. But there were maybe 4 or 5 bolts in the back . . . not to hard to take off but it isnt the same as a k5 so good luck.

[​IMG]

6. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

spray the bolts with penetrating oil before you touch them. i broke almost all the bolts taking mine off. the reason i took mine off is because on my first 4-wheel trip i bent them and they bent into the body and i couldnt open my door i had to climb out the window.

7. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

The paint along the bottom of my '85 Jimmy looks pretty ugly were my running boards used to be, but it's still paint and there isn't any rust so I don't mind. The dirt usually covers the bottom up anyway. Yeah, careful of them bolts too, they like to break.

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

8. Wallyb

Wallyb Registered Member

just wondering why you are taking them off and what are you going to do with them?

9. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

The other guys explained how to take them off but I'm going to suggest what to do with them when you get them off. They make great shelves in the garage long straight and will hold up well with whatever you put on them. Mine store quarts of oil and other stuff, looks pretty trick for polished aluminum shelves.

tree? what tree?

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Good idea, I've had some behind my shed for about a year.

11. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

They look like CRAP! Made my truck look like a pansy ass soccer-mom-SUV, and I didn't feel like having them get torn off by rocks either. I took them suckers off, kicked 'em around cause they were a pain in the ass to remove, and threw them behind my shed till I can find a better use for 'em. I like the shelf idea, might try it.

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you make shelves out of them leave the mud flaps on there...bookends...

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!