Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running Engine Temp

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Mar 16, 2004.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I was just curious what everyone's engine temp was on street and highway. I've got a 6in lift and 35's on my K5 and my smallblock 350 runs at 190 on street and 205-210 on highway and that seemed high to me. how about eveyone else

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a 350 with 195 stat. I usually run a little below the 210 mark on my temp gauge all the time.

Harley

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I think if it's running that high on the highway, you may have some restriction in the radiator, mine runs right at the thermostat (195 or right close) when running around town, and tends to heat up to 220-230 when on the highway especially during summer months here in Arizona. But i already know i need to replace my radiator as it has been pretty rusty and i haven't been able to get it flushed out even after repeated attempts. If your having problems and know your rad is good, try changing that t-stat.
    I'm assuming you are running a 185 t-stat? is it carb'd?
    I am using and actually can only run a 195 in mine, TBI setup.

I guess if it doesn't continue to climb any higher than the 210 mark you should be ok, but be careful if the outside temps start to rise.

BTW, make sure you are running the proper mixture of coolant to water ratio, Antifreeze is not a heat exchanger, it only makes the boiling poing of water higher, the water is what takes and transfers to the rad.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my truck runs just under the 210 mark, even with the plow on

my friends truck runs about 160 with a 195 stat /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. hes got a 4 core rad /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine runs 195* all the time. Rain or shine, -10 or +100, mine runs 195*. Highway, crawling, trail, you name it, same temp.

I have a brand new this year three core and a four speed transmission so it isn't pouring heat into my radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am running a 350 with a 4 core radiator and a 195 stat, I never see 200, my temp stays at 195 all the time rather in town, sitting still or on the highway. I am also running an oil cooler, tranny cooler and an aftermarket gauge so I know it is correct.

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for the all the input

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine runs near 185 - 195 all the time. If its over 100 degrees and my a/c is on it might hit 200 once in awhile. Doesn't matter if I'm street or highway. I have a/c condenser and trans cooler as well as lights and grilleguard all in front of radiator. I am running the stock tow package 3 row radiator with one gallon of prestone and the rest water, a 185 degree thermostat,factory fan blade, and hayden thermostatically controlled clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

a side question on the subject. On a stock gauge with no numbers, what does the halfway mark mean in temp? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

half way--that means you're alright. lol actually i don't know what the exact temp is on that but half maybe a little warm but should be alright.

11. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

My 350 TBI burb runs at 215 most all the time,IF, I wait for it to warm up for awhile. If I get in and go she runs all the way up to 250-260 for about 30seconds to 1 minute. Then she drops to 215 and stays there. All winter and all summer. I can't figure it out. I have replaced everything except the radiator. I even had the rad pressure checked with some special dye in it to see if I was getting a little blow by from a head gasket. No luck there either. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. pauly383

Well if it goes 100 210 240 260 (on my 83) split each one in half and you can visualize the other numbers. And 210 is the halfway mark /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

185 during the winter months and 200 when it's warm outside with my 406 and new 3 core radiator. I am having problems with detonation when the temp rises above about 200 or so and I bought a new 4 core radiator the other day and need to install it. If I run my A/C it will jump about 10-15 degrees warmer. If I start pulling hard it will shoot way up fast too. Also my fan shroud is al hacked up from the body lift and I might wind up running dual perma-cool 2,950 cfm fans .I am hoping it will stay at 185 all day long once the 4 core is in.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    a side question on the subject. On a stock gauge with no numbers, what does the halfway mark mean in temp? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mine is 210 strait up and down on my guage.I have three lines that read 100, 210, 260

15. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

cool, i am at right before the half all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    cool, i am at right before the half all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That is a little warm in my opinion but is probably OK. I have to keep mine very cool or it will start pinging like a sum of a b!tch...damn siemease cylinders. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to keep mine very cool or it will start pinging like a sum of a b!tch

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you carbed or injected? I assume the pinging is at light throttle cruise. If you run vacuum advance , you could get an adjustable one ( allen key through vacuum nipple ) and back it off a bit. Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have to keep mine very cool or it will start pinging like a sum of a b!tch

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you carbed or injected? I assume the pinging is at light throttle cruise. If you run vacuum advance , you could get an adjustable one ( allen key through vacuum nipple ) and back it off a bit. Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Carbed, and it will ping under heavier throttle.

19. pauly383

Ok, I see now. That sucks. Does it matter what you set the base timing at? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have 180* thermostat with a 4 core radiator and 16" electric fan. In town or on the highway, my temps sits right at 185-190*. It will get a bit higher if I am playing the mud. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif