Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running gear swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rjfguitar, Feb 20, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an 85' K5 with the stock 3:73 10 bolts. I have a set of 3/4 ton axles(dana 44HD,14bff)that I want to install.
    My question is what things must be changed over to accommidate the new axles besides u bolts and a driveline with 1350 u joints. Also is the front Dana 44 any stronger than a regular 6 lug 1/2 ton 44? thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Since your fairly new to the site you may not realize about the search function. Search that topic and you will find more info on that subject that you ever wanted to read. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But since you got the 3/4 stuff you will not have to change much. They even make a conversion U-Joint, so your drive shafts ends will not have to be changed. You will have to determine if the length is OK once you have the axles in. Good Luck with the change.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks I appreciate the help.

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

You may be lucky and not have to change U-joints. I swapped my 84 GM military 1 1/4 ton D60 and 14BFF into first an 88 3/4 ton Suburban and later into my present 87 K5 without a u-joint change. All I did on the rear axle was move the spring perches. Front & rear driveshaft lengths needed to be corrected after the swaps though. Your 3/4 ton axles will bolt right in without a hitch and without moving the perches. D44 8 bolt is same strength as 6 bolt.