Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running hot, at idle and low speeds....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by or2play, Jul 14, 2003.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

This is what I think. In the past few days of getting the suburban road worthy again, she has been running warm. I've done a few things, mostly the small inexpensive things that can be swapped out with out much effort.

So far changed thermosat (180), radiator cap, and flushed and filled system. I've got a flex fan and for the time being no fan shroud. I think thats my problem. Just drove around a bit. At 35 mph or better crusing around the temp was reading fine. When stoped it starts to climb. At on point in the heat of the day it was passing 220 and still going.

What do ya'll think? In 110+ degree temps with no fan shroud, when sitting idling there is not enough air flow through the radiator too cool the coolant. So far thats my anwser. Gonna find a fan shroud tommorrow at a yard.

Any thoughts or ideas are warmly welcomed. Thanks

2. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

a fan shroud is the answer with out it the fan is just movig air in the path of least resistence hint hint not through the radiator /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah get a shroud. Its also been my experence that the stock clutch fan works better than those aftermarket flex fans.
    Did you use the right spacer with your flex fan ? The closer you can safely get the fan to the radiator. The better they work.

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Ya, I got a 4 inch spacer. Gonna try to get another shroud today.