Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running hot(ter)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Feb 1, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've noticed my engine is running hotter than usual. Not really sure what thermostat I have in there, may be a 160 or 180. During the summer it stayed in about that range. Now it gets a lot closer to 200-210 in the same conditions. I am running 10w 30 in it now instead of the usual 10w 40, and running with the heater on since its cold...not too sure how this effects it. The coolant looks to be in good shape, but a little corrosion i nthe radiator...

90K5

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If I flush the radiator will it get the corrosion out or will I need to use something else?

90K5

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was running a160 tstat and I finally switched it out to 195. The truck runs alittle hotter but it never gets over 210. I used to worry, but my friends blazer runs at 240 constantly. He doesnt worry so I dont either.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My Jimmy's engine always runs 190-200 in the winter, and 200-220 in the summer. (AZ) You can flush your radiator, and if you use some of the Prestone Flush/ corrosion remover you will get some of the corrosion out. But last time I used the flush stuff in my rad. it turns out that some of the corrosion was keeping my rad. from leaking. So when I started running my truck after the flush, it started leaking, so I had to get a new rad. Also if your engine block is caked in grime, and grease that could contribute to your heat problem.

Bottom line is the radiator flush stuff works, but in my case it worked too good.

P.S. You are supposed to change your coolant every year, so if it has been a year, then change it.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, I spent about 2 days cleaning a radiator out on my own (vinegar/water) and when I reinstalled it, same problem. Took TONS of the "scale" out that I could se, but when the engine overheated once again, I pulled it and had it flow tested. It was flowing about 50% of what it should have been. Had the thing (not my truck radiator) recored, problem solved.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My radiator is only 3 years old, and the corossion is just starting. Last changed the antifreeze Sept of '00, and only drained the radiator. This may sound stupid, but Coke would eat through the corrosion too....could I?

90K5

7. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Check the thermostat... After awhile they can stick or not open completly... the last thermostat that I changed went bad after a couple of months(faulty unit).

1980 chevy 4x4 1-ton crewcab, 500 caddy, York OBA...work in progress.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3 years is a relatively short time to have radiator problems.

Mine that wasn't working correctly, looked ok up top, but down low must have been where the problem was.

Coke might work, never tried it, nor heard of anyone trying it. Then again, if you don't get it all out, it might not react well with the antifreeze.

Not that everyone does, but did you use distilled water when you changed fluid last? : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?