Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running hot with plow on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigd652, Jan 23, 2004.

1. bigd652

bigd652 Registered Member

This truck is used as a light plow truck for the moment. When I have the plow on she runs hot like 240ish hot. Any ideas on how to keep her alittle cooler?

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Re: Runnign hot with plow on

try keeping the plow lower in transit to allow more airflow into the radiator

yikes 240 is hot...is the cooling system up to par?

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on my truck if i run it with the plow all the way up it will run just as hot as yours. i have a western unimount and i run it just high enough that i can just see the lift arm but no chain. and it runs about 210 or less. you could also try turning it a little to the side to allow air to come in from the side /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If it has a clutch fan on it, take it off, run a 2" spacer and a good fan with at least 6 blades. and make sure the fan shroud fits right.

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have an '87 Chevy with a 454 as a plow truck. I just angle it all the way to the right and drop it as low as I can on the highway or anywhere I go over 35mph. It stays nice and cool usually... right under 200 even when going 55.

Theres also an electric fan on the truck that was on it when I got it. It used to work when it got a little hot, but it hasn't kicked on this season.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

all good advice so far. make sue you are not running rich. pushing a plow requires a bit more right foot, so you could be getting to much fuel.
    especialy when its cold out.
    Grant

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Richer mixture would make it run colder not hotter, and having more right foot doesn't make the mixture richer anyway. When you add air, the carb adds fuel.

I think you should flush your radiator and be sure your fan is up to par. If that doesn't help, add an electric fan to the system but leave the fan that is on there.

I run a 7 blade fan on mine and I never have cooling issues. I can imagine that the plow really scucks at blocking airflow though.

8. bigd652

I have a Boss... Not sure on size but I do think its to big for this truck.... I ran her today with the blow darn near all the way up and she ran around 220ish. Gonna flush the cooling system and see if that helps at all. Is it really bad to run her that hot?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its not a good idea to run it that hot. First really hot day of the summer last year I drove my 95 k2500 home all on the interstate with the plow on. I had to drop it so low that going over overpasses it scraped, was a cosntant battle to keep it cool.

10. bablazer73

My 87 blazer came with a clutch fan with 3 blades. Didn't work at all hit 240 in less than 3 miles after I put the plow on. dumped the clutch fan and a 2" spacer, never hit 200 agian. How many blades are on the fan you have?

11. bigd652

Not to sure but I believe 3..... How do I replace it and where do I get a new fan?

12. bablazer73

I got mine a advanced auto. The spacer, which comes with new bolts, was 12.00 The new fan I got was 29.95. Your upper fan shroud comes off, so that will make it easy. there are 4 bolts 1/2 way down the side of the shroud. 2 on eather side. And the shroud bolts to the top of rad suppoet. There are 4 nuts that hold the fan and hub to waterpump pully. remove the nuts and pull fan and hub off. You will have to remove the studs that are in the pump. Once they are out, place spacer on and fan. use the new bolts and your home free. I don't usually remove the belts. The tension from the belts will hold the pully in place.

13. bigd652

Well I can get down to 210 solid running 55. Just have to put the plow pretty high but it works better.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif