Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running Hot?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ae864cd, Nov 14, 2001.

1. ae864cd

ae864cd Registered Member

Hey guys, another question...

I recently rebuilt my 6.2 and in the process of breaking it in...

I noticed that when i am cruising at around 65mph the temp is at 200 and if i acelerate onto the freeway it gets a nothch higher between 200-240. I heard that if the pump timing is too advanced, it will get hot. I also noticed that if i push the pedal all the down half to 3/4 down... i get lots of black smoke.. am i running too rich?

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've heard that an over advanced timing will increase the exhaust temps dngerously, not sure about the black smoke though. Sounds like the delivery screw maybe cranked alittle too high. 'Might want to check your cooling system also. My temps would rise over 200 on the highway if a stayed in it going up hills and such. Turns out the radiator need to be rodded real bad. Had another truck that acted similar, but this time the fan clutch would never engage (diesels don't heat up at idle like gas jobs do - they build heat when they WORK).

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Sounds like my truck... I'm here in Colorado over 5000 feet, and the truck isn't set up for high altitude use. It'll cruise at about 65mph around 210F-220F if I'm in traffic, speeding up and slowing down. I cruise around town in Drive, which keeps me right around 200F.

I'm tempted to buy a new injector pump so the stupid truck doesn't look like an ammo dump on fire when I drive it.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Timing a mechanical injection (DB2) isn't hard if you have the right equipment. I would figure any decent diesel shop should be able to do this. We have a few timing units in our Direct Support Maintenance Army Reserve unit. If you're really laying down smoke and your temps tend toward the high side, you could reduce your fuel delivery output. Do you think the PO may have screwed with it? It's not hard, but difficult to explain. There was a web site with the info from the Banks turbo kit. Maybe SK-15 bookmarked it? SK? SK?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What info are you looking for? I got lots of info on lots of stuff!!!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

6. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to turn down the fuel delivery, or adjust the timing for a low altitude mechanical injector pump? I probably need to do both, or at least reduce the amount of fuel the pump is delivering.

I'm basically trying to get a low altitude diesel setup to burn cleaner here in the high country. :-)

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you want to back off the timing find the 15 mm bolts on the injector pump and move it back. Just think...1 deg is just barely moving the pump. If you don't feel safe doing it take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Might I suggest

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>http://www.thedieselpage.com</a>

Pay fer the subscription and you will be happy. Message forums, mailing list, lots of troubleshooting guides and a piss load of people who love to help others!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

SK is right, but a diesel injection timer will tell you where you're really at with your pump timing. I have adjusted VW diesels by ear and been "right on the money" when verified with factory tools, BUT that's a four banger, not a V8! (My ear isn't THAT calibrated.)

Hey SK, you got that instruction manual for the Banks Turbo Kit? That explains the delivery adjustment in detail.

BUT, I 'ld make damn sure that extra smoke wasn't due to the EGR, or something, before turning back the delivery. 'Don't want to make the 6.2 any slower. LOL

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DieselDan on 11/16/01 07:35 PM.</FONT></P>

9. doubleaught

doubleaught Registered Member

I've got the banks instructions for adjusting the injection pump. If it's not already on the web, I can probably put it up somewhere...

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine.</font color=red>

1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel, 700-r4, D44 front, 14-bolt FF rear, 37x12.5x16.5 SSRs