Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running hot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brownjoe, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Brownjoe

Brownjoe Registered Member

Hello to all the knarly K5 owners. I just purchasased an eightyfour K5 with 200,000 plus miles on the original engin and I love it. but it has a problem with overheating. can any one give me some suggestions on how to fix this problem without having to put in a new engine.

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

what is the motor, trany, any coolers? some info could help.

3. Brownjoe

the engine is a 350 stock engine, it has a 700r trantie and I am not sure about the coolers but it is equipt with a radiator.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Radiators are always good things for over heating... right? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Check the coolant levels, oil change, tune up, and check the fan clutch... other than that... could be an A/F mixture problem too...

-Dan

5. Brownjoe

Thanks for that info. as far as I know the levals are all up to par but I am sure it needs a tune up. I am not sure what the A/F mixture problem is. it runs fine until I start to climb up steep grades.

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

mine did the same thing about 1.5 ago. i put a new radiator in, cap, thermostat, flushed the block, and o2 sensor. Now pulling a 4000lb boat it does not get over 210.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You can pull the radiator, have it rodded out (cleaned/boiled) for less than $50 usually.............that is worth doing regardless. Also check your thermostat............make sure it's working! Water pump belt tight............etc.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ever heard of a clutch fan eliminator? i have one so the fan spins non-stop. my suburban used to over heat really bad, we did that and a new bigger radiator and it's fine now. as a matter of fact i have to block air flow in the winter to make it run well otherwise it doesn't get hot enough.

9. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

if your a really hardcore desert beater and runs cool until you get to the desert on my 350 i drilled holes in the middle of my heads and ran hoses to the neck of my intake and it runs really awesome now i mean in the desert ita hard to get it at 180

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i had my radiator done in barstow for 50 bucks.ran about 20 degrees cooler.mine was kinda caked up inside.