Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running Hummer Wheels...BACKWARDS?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Oct 13, 2003.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you guys may all hate me even for asking this, but has anyone here ever ran Hummer wheels backwards? I have heard of guys on the Pirate's Bulletin Board doing this, but they are mostly little guys (yotas, jeeps, samis, etc...) Has anyone tired this? If so how has it worked? What have you guys heard (if anything) in regards to this. It will be on a 91 K5 and will be a daily driver /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I have heard from many skeptics, but so far, none of the guys that have been doing it have complained about the safety issue.
    Thanks for any info!
    Nate

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

It would work, but the 1" of backspacing you would get out of it would make the tires stick waaaaay out.

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Just for the heck of it I tried it on mine and there is no way they will fit on the 60, the bolts and valve stem hit the caliper.

4. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

By moving the tire further out you are putting more stress on your bearings. Just think of it as using a cheater bar on a tough bolt.

5. bigredblzr

Yeah, I know that there will be more stress on the wheel bearings and ball joints. I am runing a 3/4ton 10bolt front, so I don't think that valve stem clearance will be a problem like it is for the 60, but I may be wrong. Have any of you guys tried this yet? The backspacing would be 2.75" I think. How would you guys deal with the lug nuts? The other side isn't chamfered at all, so I was thinking of just using flat nuts. Can you think of any way this could be a serious safety hazard?
    Thanks,
    Nate

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yes sir bad idea. Without the divot for the lug nut to cinch into the wheel will move around on the lug bolts and eventually snap one or more. Someone feel free to contradict me if I'm wrong. Good luck to ya.

Allan

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

You'll actually end up wollowing the hole in the rim out like an oval pattern and then bust the lugs off and lose a tire! I suggest either tapering the other side or using spacers like everyone else...... GOD FORBID anyone now adays take the time to do it right and recenter the beasts!!!!! IT's not rocket science! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. bigredblzr

What about putting a "Duelly Ring" on the outside? From what I hear, those a just a 8lug piece of metal with chamfered lug holes that are used on duelly wheels, if I ran those on the outside (actual inside) would I be okay?

EDIT: I do plan on recentering them someday, but right now I don't have an extra $200 lying around.

9. bigredblzr

Any other advice?

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I have absolutely no idea how thick the metal is and having said that I think your best bet would cut shallow divets in the back side and torque the livin bejeezers out of them and check them often. Just MO. Good luck to ya.

Allan

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Since the rims is kept centered from the tapered lugs, switching to flat nuts would make it very difficult to center the rim.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am runing a 3/4ton 10bolt front,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, what size tires are you planning on running on this?

[ QUOTE ]
    The backspacing would be 2.75" I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hummer rim is 8.25" wide, backspacing is 7". 8.25 7= 1.25" backspacing if you run them reversed.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

People are making high grade spacers these days to correct for the offset and adapt unmodified hummer rims onto stock 8 lug axles. You could probably convince them to make 6 to 8 lug adapters as well for those 1/2 ton folks. With all the horror stories around recentering and the expense of doing so, it is quickly becoming a more valid and cost effective solution.

Front Dana60 folks can just swap on dually hubs. A dually 14 bolt with a set of 2" spacers and you have a complete setup without messing with the rims. All this runs 1/4 of recentering!

14. bigredblzr

[ QUOTE ]
    Ouch, what size tires are you planning on running on this?

[/ QUOTE ]
    It is the one of the later model 10bolts with the 30spline shaft that is 1.28" diameter, so it is approx. D44 strength. I'm gonna run Goodyear Wrangler R/T II (Hummer Bias-plys) which you probably know are 36s. Don't worry, it's gonna be an open diff. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hummer rim is 8.25" wide, backspacing is 7". 8.25 7= 1.25" backspacing if you run them reversed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    According to usa6x6.com, which deals alot with military tires and wheels, the Hummer rim is 9.875in wide with 7.25in BS. That would mean if they were run backwards I would have 2.625in BS.

On a different note, does anyone have any idea how much 6in spacers would be for an 8lug pattern? I haven't even explored the option of spacers yet /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6" spacers? Are you nuts?

16. bigredblzr

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]
    HEY, WE "CRAZY FOLK" PREFER TO REFERRED TO AS THE "SANELY CHALLENGED"!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    No, I just don't know much about spacers. Like I said, i haven't explored the spacer option much and so I don't really know what adequate spacing would be. I would like the tire to stick out about 2 1/2-3in on either side. What size spacers should I get?

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    What about putting a "Duelly Ring" on the outside? From what I hear, those a just a 8lug piece of metal with chamfered lug holes that are used on duelly wheels, if I ran those on the outside (actual inside) would I be okay?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sort of what I'm doing. Dually bearing hubs up front and flipped rims w/ the lug plate in the back. Do a search this has been covered a few times, but not recently. Look here and in the '73 - 91 forums, go back about nine months. IIRC it was talked about in a couple posts this spring.
    BTW if you don't know about Danial (USA 6x6) spend some time searching. I wouldn't trust much from him.

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just to clarify, the "newer" 10-bolts with 30-spline shafts are approximately 1.31" diameter, which is equivalent to the 30-spline Dana 44 shafts. The earlier 10-bolts were 28-spline with the smaller 1.28" shafts.

19. bigredblzr

When were 10bolts a 1.31" diameter? I know my '91 10bolt is 30spline with a 1.28" diameter, so it has to have been after '91.

20. bigredblzr

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    Nate