Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running in 2wd low?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Jun 30, 2006.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Using a twin-stick setup, is there any reason I shouldn't run my NP205 in 2wd low for the majority of the time? (ie, onroad, around town, freeway, etc). Just trying to tide me over till I can regear my axles =)

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yes, there is a very good reason... you're doubling the torque input of your axle 100% of the time. wouldnt be surprised if that would eat a 14FF or a D70.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

does that mean that those of us with 2x the torque of some other people shouldn't drive at all? haha j/k, but the argument doesn't seem all that critical to me

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

x2. A ff14b will be fine... especially if you're talking about driving on the street. It takes giant meats and mad torque and lots of traction to break something in that axle 99% of the time... I just don't see how driving to the grocery store is gonna do much to it. 2x the torque is pretty much like doing a big block swap into a rig that came with a 305 or something. Its all good.

j

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

what gears/tires you runnin to consider runnin low on the street?

either way i think you'll be fine. id just resist the urge for hard launches.

6. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I have 3.07's and 35's on that truck at the moment, hehe. I wasn't really worried about the torque output though - wouldn't it be similar stresses on the axles compared to running a doubler?

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt worry about the torque at all, those 14 bolts and 70 can takee huge amounts of stress. The only thing you might want to consider is taking out your front driveshaft or something. I dont know if it would be a good idea or not to let your lockouts spin without the hubs locked

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You should be able to get away with it around town and stuff if you want to play a little, but not really sure why you would want to run 4 low on the highway. You basically would have equivalent gearing in the 6:1 range with only 35" tires, and that's really low gearing for trying to cruise down the highway. Would really think you would be limited in top speed quite a bit.......not like you are trying to run 44's or something.

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

He is running a twin sticked case the front shaft is not spinning so its fine.

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I run mine in 2 wheel drive low range on forest service roads and if I am going to be putsing around town. keeps me in high gear more of the time and I figure is prbably easier on my tired old engine.

11. xCLIFxCATx

xCLIFxCATx Registered Member

i had my front drive shaft off my burb and did a breakstand and it blew up the yoke and then my driveshaft spun around and f-ed that up too... that was also in a 10bolt too but id be careful

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd see what the big deal is. 2wd low with 3.07 rear is like having a 6.14:1 rear end. I doubt you will break anything.

Just run it and be done with it.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

with 3.07s its painfully obvious that you're running 1/2 ton axles. you're pushing the limits of the axles as it is with 35s, double your torque input, and they will give. no, it wouldnt be like running a doubler, a doubler would almost quadruple the torque, where you are only doubling it. of course, anybody who has a doubler runs 1 ton or beefier axles too.

put a 600 ft/lb big block in it, and see how the axles hold up. they wont!

if you really need more gear, swap the weak 1/2 tons out for a set of 3/4 tons, you'll get more strength as well as a better gear ratio. 3/4 tons generally come with 4.10 gears, which should work nicely with your 35s.