Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running like crap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Aug 16, 2004.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

OMG, I cannot figure out what is wrong with my truck, was stumbling on constant driving. Replaced the acc pump, not the problem. Had replace the harmonic balancer a few weeks ago, and went to time it today, and it was WAY off the mark,,,I can only assume he mark is in the wrong spot. Now im getting like 6 mpg. Cutting out..Now dieseling when i shut i down...F&%$!!!!!1

Where do I start?

OH, I got shocked when i touched the air cleaner.,.But all new wires...Could volts leak out the boots?

Eddie

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd guess your electrified air cleaner and the way its running are related--maybe the plug wires are grounding out to the air cleaner instead of firing your spark plugs--I have seen new wires right out of the box that arced to ground worse than the old wires(they were cheapie ones),and since you did change the balancer,maybe the mark is different than the original,you'll probably have to time it by ear or with a vaccuum gauge to get it dialed in closer.Also hope the balancer was for the engine you have,dont go putting a 400 small block one on by mistake,they are different(externally balanced,and have a cutaway portion in it that looks more like a counterweight than a smooth round balancer)that will make a cocktail shaker out of any other small block. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

It was the righ balancer for the engine, im wondering f there were more than one location for timing lines,, wish i did not hrow my old one out...Oh well.
    Thanks,
    I cannot find the wire arcing anywhere, and i paid too much for cheapies, they were like 89$ MSD Heli-core wires, supposed to be good for the high heat of the headers.

sigh.....
    I guess Ill have to find out where he charge from the ignition is coming from...

Do they still sell that grease for plug wires that help retain the charge?? I know MSD used to sell it, but do no remember what it was called.

4. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

msd sells di-electric grease. check out all of your grounds espically the ones on the block.

5. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Grounds that can cause a charge from he distributer?
    How many should i have?
    Eddie

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

When ya replaced the plug wires did ya also do the cap and rotor?
    If so did ya install the ground strap inside the cap under the coil cover?
    That can give all kinds of greif if ya didn't.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sounds like the timing may still be way off...

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    im wondering f there were more than one location for timing lines

[/ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact that there are differences between SBC balancers. I had a factory timing cover with factory dampener and when I put the aftermarket dampener on, I had to buy and aftermarket pointer to get the marks to line up correctly.

9. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Well, I found one of my wires, at the boot, had one strand, smaller than a hair, of the core sticking out through he gap between the boot and insulator...I know why i got knocked on my ass when i touched he air cleaner now...WOW
    After changing a few things, im going to go est her out, let you know how i does.
    Eddie