Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running mismatched tires, any major problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Oct 21, 2005.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hello all, Well I have had bad luck finding a matching pair of super swamper TSLs to match the ones I just bought. New ones are on back order and wont be in till the end of October.
    So my question is will I run into any problems running my super swampers on the rear of my blazer and my mud terrains on the front. I just need them untill the new swampers come in. Both sets of tires are 33/12.5/15s but the swampers are actually taller by about 1" . I need some tires to run on a 4x4 trip this weekend. Any major problems with this, other than looking like a dorkmobile?

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

dont use 4x4 on any hard surface. just snow,mud,sand.for a short distance.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As far as I knew , as long as you don't mix bias and radial on the same axle its ok . Ask Matt az-k5 , he's the tire guy :D

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

from company to company tire sizes can vary in the same "size", just like shoes. So yes it can be a problem, but like said, just keep it out of 4 wheel on hard packed surfaces.

5. moturbopar

thanks guys, I guess if I break something I will just have to upgrade! :D wonder why the tires are on back order?

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

YUP, gonna be a BIG problem,,,you're going to get TWO different humming tones from the truck, they combine to create this weird "new" tone, this will cause severe hearing problems, especially when the girlfriend/wife is trying to talk to you, and troubles with distinguishing engine, exhaust and emergency vehicle siren sounds while driving down the road.

7. moturbopar

heck I get that now! It changes everytime another lug flies off! The first couple lugs broke about even with the tire carcass, the newest ones that I found today are all the way to the cords!!! :eek1: never had a tires do this :confused:

8. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

interco is in louisiana.bet there facory took a hit from the hurricanes.

9. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

If there is an inch difference, that is only 1/2 inch to center. You could try adjusting front and rear tire pressures. Measure from the floor to axle center,if you can get them the same, you are good to go.

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am mixing Radial and Biased on my truck. Don't really have a choice though as the Badlands claimed one of my BFG's:doah:
    So in the front i have a 35" BFG and a 36" HMMWV tire.

You are absoloutly correct about the "new" noise caused by this. I was thinking that my wheel bearings were going bad or loose. All has checked out good though.

11. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I have run mis-matched tires on a few trucks over the years and never had any problems.. I try to make sure that the 2 on the front are the same and the 2 on the rear the same but sometimes I didn't have much choice.. Of course you need to keep them about the same size.. Try not to have the size's be this far off and be like this guy :haha:

[​IMG]