Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running More Boost On A 6.2L Diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by josephn, Mar 15, 2001.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if you could get lower compression pistions for the 6.2L, and be able to to run more boost from a turbo?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yes you can. I believe Peninsular Diesel makes either 18:1 or 19:1 pistons. However, I have heard that unless you put on a high flow injector pump and marine injectors, there wont be much of a difference ( more air but no more fuel ). Also Ive heard that it makes the truck very difficult to start and temps below freezing. But if you got the money to do all the fuel mods and you want something that will keep up with most stock F*&ds and D$^^es, lower compression pistons and higher boost is the way to go.

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

How much more difficult?
    And is there anything you can do to make it easier to start in cold weather?

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, 31 inch tires.

Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

4. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Also how much more boost do you think you could run on 18:1 compared to 21:1.

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

First of all, as far is I know the only way to get more boost is to buy a custom turbo. Secondly, I think the harder starting is something you just have to deal with. From what I heard, its not that bad. Just as long as you plug it in and have good glow plugs. But unless your looking for a race truck, a Banks turbo system with the stock compression is good enough.

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Peninsular diesel does not make lower compression pistons for the 6.2L. Not anymore. I ordered their last set of (8) 19:1s and got them in about two weeks ago. Six of them were 19:1s and two were stock 21.3:1. Needless to say, they're going to be returned. In conversations with the owner of Peninsular, they're not going to make anymore. So, it would seem that we're up [censored] creek. Hope is not lost though. Kennedy Diesel makes his own lower compression pistons, and they're supposed to be just as good.

David
    '85 diesel burban

7. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Do they have a website.

8. AgDieseler

9. AgDieseler

Bad news for us 6.2L guys. After a days worth of phone calls to Gale Banks Engineering, Kennedy Diesel, and Peninsular Diesel, I've learned that the only way to run lower compression pistons with a 6.2L is to have a GM-8 or Bosch equivalent turbo setup like those used in 6.5TDs. A Banks setup won't work due to the nature of their pressure bleed valve, and the fact that the entire setup is intended only to work with 21.3:1 compression. Now that's information coming from an engineer and not the sales rep. It's a sad day, but not to worry. Since our projects are never really done, there will be plenty of opportunities to get a 6.5L and go the 18:1 route.

David
    '85 diesel burban

10. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Man that sucks I was looking for ways to get more torque and hp from it now I guess I will rip the dang thing out and put in a 383 SB or 454 BB. Oh well wont have to worry about big black clouds of smoke but there goes my gas mileage.

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Probably been mentioned before, but you could probably learn a lot about hopping up a 6.2 on the Chevy diesel site (forget the address, maybe dieselpage.com?).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thedieselpage.com>http://www.thedieselpage.com</A>

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!