Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running on board air and A/C

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Jun 29, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Has anyone addaed a york pump.....withought removing the stock a/c pump????If so,what is involved? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifAnyone????

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

You have to make custom brackets, which is a PITA. I think the best place to put the york is where the stock air pump was and use the pulley off the engine that drove the air pump.

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

There's one in the tech section here.

BIGJ

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    There's one in the tech section here.

BIGJ

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks, Hipinion and I both want on board air but don't want to give up our A/C's.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Have you even heard of anyone doing this?????i would like to see how much of a PITA it is.Be cool if someone had an aftermarket bracket. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Anyone???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Is that WITH a/c???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Basically, I am going to try to run the york on the pass. side of the engine and mount it where my smog pump used to be. I'll see if I can modify my smog pump brackets to work. If not, At least I'll get measurements from them to fabricate some new ones. I have the option of doing that because I don't need to run emissions on my '74. It might not help you guys though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifIf you have to run a smog pump and want to keep your AC, you may be better off running a small heavy duty 12V compressor. You can mount them to the top of your inner fender under the hood, or, they make them small enough so that you could mount them just about anywhere under your truck tucked up inside the frame. I know they make some that are pretty heavy duty and will run air tools quite well. It might be worth some research.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Depending on the year of your truck. The alternator has a ribbed pulley or a v-groove pulley. If it has the ribbed pulley OBA makes a replacement pulley that is a ribbed pulley with a v-groove to allow you to run a york from your alternator all you have to do is make brackets to mount the york beside the alternator.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] Hey shane,is this something similar to what your talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep! Looks similar to some I have found while researching this. I may go with one anyway. Much easier to run some wires and bolt the sucker down than fabbing up brackets and routing hoses around the engine. Not as cheap as a York setup, but really clean looking IMO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just built my serpentine york bracket W/ a/c (that doesnt work). I'll get pics on saturday but my fabrication blows. Maybe the general idea will help you though. I kept the v-groove pulley on the york and am going to run a combo pulley off the alternator. Building the bracket wasnt that hard and I'm a wee-begginer fabber.

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i know willyswanter has an electric one (not motor driven) anyway post a link to the pic you have there, i want to find a GOOD on that is not engine driven. do you have any suggestions?

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just built my serpentine york bracket W/ a/c (that doesnt work). I'll get pics on saturday but my fabrication blows. Maybe the general idea will help you though. I kept the v-groove pulley on the york and am going to run a combo pulley off the alternator. Building the bracket wasnt that hard and I'm a wee-begginer fabber.

[/ QUOTE ] Id like to see that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif