Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running out of options....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Alaska K-5, May 7, 2004.

1. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

So I picked up a great buy on a 74 K20, and have some money for lift and tires....Tires are on there way, 36x13.5x16 IROKS. So I call pretty much the only place the sells lifts locally(Fairbanks, Alaska), and get a quote on 4" and 6" lifts...pretty much any of the popular brands(BDS, Skyjacker, Superlift) is gonna be $1075 w/shocks for the 6" and $750 w/shocks for a 4"!! Does this seem a little high to anyone else besides me???? Oh did I mention, these lifts are with rear blocks!!! Add another $290 for rear springs, man I was really getting excited...but this a-hole at the shop pretty much bursted my bubble. Any ideas?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

get it shipped man, you will pay a lot but a lot less than that! Our local aftermarket parts house quoted me like $1100 back in the day for a superlift HD 6" kit. That was with blocks in the back and I think no shocks, I can't recall. I laughed and left.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

WOW! That seems really really high to me. I pieced my lift together, and I think I ended up spending like around $800 on it alltogether. I dont have rear blocks either. I got a shackle flip in the rear, BDS front springs, doetsch prerunner shocks, extended stainless brakelines, swaybar disco's, and all the bushings and u-bolts for less than what they quoted you for just the lift. Why dont you just order a shackle flip from ord for the rear, buy some gabriel shocks for like $20 a shock from autozone, and get BDS front springs which I paid like $98 a spring pack for?
    -Harrison

4. Alaska K-5

I think that's probely what is going to happen, just piece a lift together....of course different shocks since we don't even have a Autozone up here!! I'm waiting on a quote from a place on freight from the lower 48, if it's with in reason I'll just get a lift from them.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any auto parts store will carry Gabrial or Monroe. If you want economical shocks, that's the way to go IMO.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of ORD, great service. Give them a call at (970) 945-7777. I personally would go 6" springs + heavy duty shackles up front, and 4" Shackle flip + 3" springs in the rear. ( I like the rear sitting a tad higher then the front.) They can put together a complete "Kit" with every thing you'll need. (Except driveshafts).

7. Alaska K-5

Would I need longer drive shafts to run a 6" lift???

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Would I need longer drive shafts to run a 6" lift???

[/ QUOTE ] Usely, but every truck is different. I had new shafts made for my K5 when we put the 6" lift in it.

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

4wheelparts.com is having frre shipping with a 70 dloora buy of the lift warranty!!!

10. Alaska K-5

I'll check out the site, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that excludes Alaska...