Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running radials and bias plys at the same time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Jul 23, 2001.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

i heard somewhere that you shouldnt run radial tires with bias ply tires somewhere, and i was just wondering if you really arent supposed to do it. Also, what is better, radial or bias? Im wondering because its almost time to replace two of my tires(36" Swampers) and i would like to go with the radials if they wear better and are safer. but i will still have two bias tires on the truck.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http:// members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm > members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm </a>

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Running radials and bia plys at the same time

I've heard the same thing, that is not run bias with rad.
    As far as wich one is better , Bias are a little tougher, but thats about all I know about them.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

" Wider IS Better!!!"

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

bias have stronger sidewalls and get a flat bottom when they sit so you have to drive it out which only takes a couple miles and radials have better tread life for onroad and alittle better manners too. But they are both good

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick ! [​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They handle quite differently and having a mixture of types on a vehicle will make it feel pretty squirrely going down the highway. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

It is especially important not to mix them on the same axle.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Just curious, why would you only need to replace 2 of your tires? Am I the only one that rotates my tires with every oil change to keep the wear the same? Please don't tell me I'm wasting time.......

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have herd of this befor but did not remember untill now. I have 36" TSL bias plys but my spare is a 35" BFG. I don't ever plan on blowing out one of the TSL's but stuff happens. Would I be safe to drive it home (lets say 50mi or so)?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Hay xnoahx you live in SoCal too. If you are replacing your 36's would you mind giving me one of your warn down ones? Than I would not have to worry about having a 35" radial as a spare.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

9. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

i already have two old 36" swampers laying around but the tread on them is just about gone. Im talking almost slicks. but if you want one its yours. Im not exactly sure when im going to replace my two tires that are almost done because i dont have the money right now. And the reason that im only replacing two is because i already replaced two and i couldnt afford the $700 for all 4 at once

Check out my 73 K5 members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would not mix them. Very bad idea, although radials are best for the road.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

It is not recommended to mix them but...
    I drive a Class A motorhome.
    I've put two radials in front and the four rear tires are bias.
    I haven't really noticed any difference driving it but I intend to change the four rear ones to radials.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My trailer has 7.00 x 15 Bias plys on it. I had to put on the spare, a 235/75R15 radial. Can't tell the difference, but I so still plan on fixing it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd