Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running Rich

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazer_87, Aug 23, 2004.

1. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

My 87 K5 is running rich and I am running out of options, please help. I have set the timing, adjusted the idle in accordance with the procedure on thirdgen.com, changed O2 sensor. It still smells really rich and exhaust tips are black. cant run with my back window down cause of the smell. Any other suggestions? and what is normal oil pressure PSI, i put a new gauge on and cruising pressure is about 45-50psi. Is this high, low, or just right? Thanks in advance!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you put a scanner on it and checked out various things while its running, such as coolant temp?

3. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

There are no check engine codes, I have jumped pins a and b to put ecm in diag mode. all codes indicate normal. water temp is in normal range.

4. thecowboy

thecowboy Newbie

I had a similar problem that turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator in the TBI unit. The orange gasket was leaking around the housing, past the IAC valve and into the intake.
    Try pulling the plugs off of the fuel injectors with the engine running. If it doesn't die right off, this could be the problem (the engine will run a little, how long depending on the severity of the leak, off of the fuel from the leak). If all is well it should die as if you had pulled the coil wire.
    A TBI rebuild kit fixed mine.