Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running Rich

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Is there any logical reason why I would be blowing smoke out one exhaust pipe and not the other on a TBI 350?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah, if you have no exhaust crossover, ie H-pipe..then it will only blow smoke out of one side..or if your manifold to downpipe bolts are loose on one side the majority of exhaust can slip out into engine bay..mine does it..bolts are screwed up..

3. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

No, what I mean is its blowing black smoke on one side, so it has to be running rich on one side. Is that even possible? Both injectors fire the same way.

4. Confedneck

oil burns black too... checked the oil level lately? im just thinkin if its throttle body..and you have black smoke out of only one side, you might have a dead cylinder on that side...try spraying water from a spray bottle (a couple squirts) on the exhaust manifold, one cylinder at a time..if it doesnt boil off right away..or boils slower than the majority of other cylinders..theres your problem

5. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Did a compression check last week, all cylinder 140-156 psi. I am burning oil, but I thought oil burned blue gray

6. Confedneck

ever see oil burn on wood? burns black, lots of smoke..so im guessing oil can burn black..and just because compression checks out ok doesnt mean you dont have a dead wire or plug on one cylinder, it just means that the rings and cylinder are in good shape..

7. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

It doesn't have a dead cylinder. No miss, no fouled plugs, runs strong, just blows some smoke. So blowing blue and black smoke at the same time could be oil?

8. Confedneck

how many miles on that motor? its possible it has a smoking issue...are the plugs wet with oil at all??

9. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Yeah its got an oil issue, 140k on the bottom end, cylinder heads are new, replaced about 5k ago. #3 & #5 both burn oil and wet down the plugs. I do run hotter plugs in those cylinders to make them last a bit longer.