Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running Sand Any Precautions? Advice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Apr 5, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have never done a trail run before on a beach front. Any advice while driving in sand? Is speed the key? Paw print? Things to spray off ASAP to keep from ruining?

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

run your tires down to 10-15 psi, it will make a worlds of difference. also i always greased all ujoint, tierods, ball joints afterward.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you got 15" rims like me i like to take em down to about 8 PSI and get a nice bulge in the sidewall.
    It makes a greater contact area.. and gives you more floatation. and floatation is what your after on the sand.
    If you keep em at street pressure you'll just dig your truck down to the axles.
    AIR IT DOWN!
    with 16's or 16.5's i wouldn't go below double digit #'s i think.

Mash that gas pedal and have fun man!

Hose off your exhaust asap... along with any chrome.... and don't play in the ocean salt water no matter how tempting it is. Very good way to rust out your truck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. BowtieBlazer

Damn! Hehe....I was planning on letting all the fords I am going with [9 broncos and a blazer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ] run the ocean and just sit back and watch. I think I know better than to forge the ocean...especially after all the seal changing I have done this weel.

I have 10 inch rims and running weenie 31 10.50's how low can I go without worry of losing the bead?

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

With 31's you can go down in the 5-8 psi range, but keep 8 as your bare minimum, especially with a manual. Try not to shift gears too much, especially at lower speeds. Momentum is key - lose momentum and you start digging in, and seconds later you're hosed. Also make sure to hose off the entire undercarriage when you get home - make sure to also drown the bottomside of the body to get all that residual salt out.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Are you going to Pismo? I live 15min away and go there about 2-3 times a week. Willing to show ya around if ya like, If you are going to pismo that is. With my old 32's I liked to run the front tires at 15psi and the back at 10psi, that way the truck still "floats" but you can still get $h!tty in the turns. I run my 35's at 10psi on the front and 7psi in the rear. If you do roll a bead, we can get you going again in no time. A good rule of thumb when driving through the dunes is to never stop with your truck facing uphill, and don't haul @$$ going inland.

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

OOPS! just read your profile, guess you aren't talkin about Pismo.

8. BowtieBlazer

Not Pismo but i appreciate the offer!

9. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Alot depends on the kind of tire your running. I have BFG Mudders. They have a stiff side wall. On my Jeep and in soft sand I'll run around 8 psi. On the hard sand I'll run 10-15 psi.
    I never grease anything until after I'm back home and away from the sand. If you grease before you go it just gives something for the sand to stick to.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run the sand a lot and i always air down to 8-10lbs keep your speed up and float across the sand /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

put a pair of panty hose over the air intake... they're a great added defense against sucking sand into the engine. If you have a stock air cleaner, just slip a pair over the snorkle, or if it's open element, figure out a way to wrap them around.
    Driving wise, momentum is your friend, so is flotation. As far as how low you can go without popping a bead, that mostly depends on vehicle weight & your driving style but what was said before about 8-10psi will give you a good footprint, but still have enough pressure to hold the bead except in a real nasty hit.