Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running the engine on the stand

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jun 20, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of building a 305 for my 81 1/2 ton chev and I'm very close to dropping it back in, however, someoen reccomended that I break the cam in and such while its on the stand... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif They say to hook up the starter and run some lines back to a makeshift gas tank. This all seems fine and dandy but where would you put the radiator and such? Also, where could I get a cheap gauge to make sure my oil pressure is coming up (one that would fit in the hole at the back of the block by the distributor) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well first of all don't start it on a regular rolling engine stand /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. Either build or buy a engine testing stand. Will need a radiator with fans, gas tank, starter button, battery, oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, etc...

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

*picturing engine torqueing and the engine and stand doing a rolling 3 stooges ballet across the garage floor* /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I used some 1x1 tubing and an old stick shift bellhousinf to make a test stand worked good. used an old rad from a truck, and put a cheapo guage cluster on it too. It only cost about 30 bucks to make and some time.

5. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt waste my time putting it on a stand. The only reason to do this would be if a rod went through the block, and then you wouldnt have to pull the engine again. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Otherwise doing it in the chassis is fine. Otherwise you need to fab a fuel tank, exhaust, rad, blah blah