Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running w/o inner fenders?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think about running without inners. Mine are all rotten in front and I am thinking of just leaving them off? Feedback would be good. Thanks

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I wouldn't if you run mud or sand.Rock or pavement I don't see too much trouble.Even then there will still be alot of crap thrown into the engine bay(road debris,water when it rains,small animals and children...stuff like that) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about the road debris etc. I am not really planning on running this in rain but mostly the beach and fire trails etc. I dunno I was just throwing around ideas. I usually try to avoid the children but the animals sometimes just have to take one for the team. LOL Actually my only encouners have been my neighbors flock of gunea hens and a goose who oddly enough just stood there and bent his neck over, and the after I passed over just straightened it up and kept walking.

4. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

I'm gona have to cast my vote and say thats a bad idea.

5. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Been driving mine without for about 3 years now - they came with the truck - in the back when I got it - I figure I'll repaint them and install after the next motor change.
    Motor does get dirty from road grime - I never have it in the mud - haven't had any problems I blamed the lack on inner fenders for.

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id say leave them on and if they are too bad replace them.your engine will get a lot of crap thrown at it including rocks from your front tires.

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Mine are off. I don't do a lot of mud, so it's not a problem.

8. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I'e seen it done, but it does result in a dirty motor. I would just replace them, they can't cost that much.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

On a lifted trcuk, running without the fender wells is great, had mine off for six months and I'm not putting them back in. Makes checking the fluids, inspecing the engine and a slew of other things really easy. It doesn't get that much dirt without them, no more than running a dirt road with them, but open air elements suffer from the rain a bit more. I wouldn't do heavy mud running like this though.

10. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

All good points about running without inners. Here are a couple more I didnt see. If you got a 67-72 watch your rocker panels real close and keep them nice and clean. Especially if the front plug is missing. Dont know if this applies to 73 and up. I learned this the hard way, my rockers almost filled up with sand which keeps moisture which causes RUST!! Had to do a fair bit of bondo-glassing on my rockers. Sand also gets in the hood hinges.