Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running w/ out shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

got the chance to go wheelin tomorrow but dont have rear shocks, do you think this is a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

not really, when i did my shackle flip i went without rear shocks for a week or so, long story short, i drove over a speed bump at 10-15 mph and the rear end came off the ground because there was nothing to slow the springs or control the unloading of them.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

It will be very difficult to control without shocks. Difficult to the dangerous probably. Front would be worse but rear is still bad. Be careful if you do it.

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

will I wont hit any speed bumps but I think ill drag my ass out of bed early and do get some gabriels from autozone

5. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I put my shackle flip on in February and have run without shocks ever since. it bounces a little more but not uncontrollably.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can drive without them, I havent put them back on the front and its pretty bouncy, but itll be even worse for you since you have softer springs. What the heck, give it a try. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Dont quote me on this but i believe hossbaby50 hasnt ran rear shocks in over a year and been on plenty of trails.Better safe than sorry though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I put my shackle flip on in February and have run without shocks ever since. it bounces a little more but not uncontrollably.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly. I put my shackle flip on in october and havent run rear shocks since. I drive the truck everyday on the road, highway, over speedbumps, and offroad, and it hasnt seemed to affect anything yet. The rear end does tend to bounce a little more but like he said above, not uncontrolably. You just have to take speed bumps a little slower, mainly because the back of the truck wants to keep going up and down after you hit them. Other than that it is fine. I wouldnt lose sleep over putting rear shocks on, but thats just me I guess.
    -Harrison

9. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Unlike a coil spring or a torsion bar, leaf springs have a lot of friction between the leafs that really dampens spring oscillation. You won’t have any problems and will probably be surprised to find it is not that noticeable. I have driven many miles with no shocks at all on trucks, its no big deal.

10. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i havnt had rear shocks in like 4 months and have been wheeling almost everyday, just watchout for potholes when ur going kinda fast or ull lose the back end(dont ask how i know) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif