Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running with Pane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tom E, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

I finally won a propane kit on ebay at a resonable price. :D :woot: Should be getting it in a few days. I got the Impco 425, model E vaporizer, and the vacuum lock. Can't wait to put it all together. I'm planning on using the quadrajet base off my carb. I'm just gonna have to get some line and a tank. Anybody else got any experience with this?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Only from what I have read in the 'tech' forums....................................

hint, hint.......................................

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

3. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Don't need any tech advise...just braggin! :p:

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Bragging by asking a question? Doesn't fly. Please find the nearest brick wall and bang your head for forgiveness for the misdeeds of soiling our dear and beloved forum with such technical type posts..................

5. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Some pics of my conversion.

small Picture 008.jpg

small Picture 009.jpg

small Picture 011.jpg

small Picture 012.jpg

small Picture 016.jpg

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I just started "fishing" for propane info, out of curiosity. Anyone want to volunteer a summary of the benefits?:confused:

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I thought when you converted to propane you lost alot of power and yer "fly ride" becomes a dog. At least the few people Ive known that did it said they lost power. It has an octane rating of 110 so I guess you could make more power with high compression and advanced timing. You can run extreme angles too, but for $1000 I would rather go fuel injection. You also have to buy a big tank.
    I'm no expert. And I dunno why someone would do it, unless it was alot easier and cheaper to get propane than gasoline. I wouldnt do it. If I ever do any switch from gasoline, I would buy a diesel and make some biodiesel in my gagrage and cruise around at 70 cents per gallon.

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

$1000?? I have seen entire pull-offs on ebay go for $300.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

is it just me or is fuel system in the cab not a good idea for safty?

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its fine the hoses are steel braded line over rubber over weaved nylon.

I would ditch the vaccuum lock off and go with a electri sylinoid(sp?). Much better way in my opinion.

You will loose power on the dyno sheet but it isnt enough to notice it much.

Would you mind telling me what you paid for your kit off e-bay?? You can PM it to me if you would like ot keep it more private :D

11. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

I got everything but tank and lines for just over $200. I got the lines and both used tanks filled for $150.

Propane is better than carb because of inclines. Carbs can cut off at steep angles. My quadrajet was shot so it was about the same cost to do the propane as it would have been to tune it up or get a new carb. I've been VERY pleased with it. It cranks right up. No waiting for it to warm up. I can stop on steep hills and crank right back up.

As far as power loss. I actually got more power since my carb was shot. It sounds different at high rpm's (doesn't have the normal deep tone). I've had mine up to about 55 or 60 w/o any problems. It's a poor mans fuel injection :D

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Not that stuff goes wrong with fuel injection too often but I know that there is only one thing keeping my truck from running with propane. That is a busted fuel line. No wires, sensors, ECM's, injectors, or anything else you can think of to cause you not to be able to start your truck.

I am a convertor from TPI to propane. TPI was fine but it cost me 5 times as much money to build than the propane set-up. The propane also has the benifit of being a sealed system so there are zero worries about leaking fuel in a roll over.

Overall I think that propane is a fine fuel source for trail vehilces. I also happen to drive a work truck that is propane powered. I drive it every day.