Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running without kcick down cable on th350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Apr 26, 2005.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Would it be a bad thing to do? I dont mind having to do it at the column, nut is it bad for the tranny? I ran my pick up like this for probably 8000 mile or so and it never showed any signs that it didnt dig it. What should i do?

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It won't hurt a thing.

3. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

be careful i have seen numerous people pop it up back into third and slide it into reverse, sounds like only a retard could go through 3rd and nuetral, but ive seen it, and ive seen people mess up their trannys (or tcase) like that

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

cool thanks! Also yeah i could see how you could do that but i havnt yet so hpefully i just dont screw up :blush:

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I've seen many TH350s burn up in mud trucks from no TV cable(kickdown). The TV cable raises line pressure and adjusts shift points. On one truck that lacked proper carb linkage we pulled the cable all the way out and duct taped it in the full throttle position for mud boggin.

That is one thing I like about the TH350 is the TV cable, has better quality down shifts Vs the TH400.

6. dcubb

dcubb 1/2 ton status

TH350's don't have TV (throttle valve) cables. It's strictly a kickdown cable.
    With this cable disconnected the only detrimental effect with be having to manually downshift to accelerate. On the other hand, on a 700r4, you better have the TV CABLE connected and properly set up if you expect the tranny to stay healthy...

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Like the others alluded to, it is just for kickdown AFAIK. Only the 700R4 uses a TV cable. I ran without the kickdown linkage for over a year on an old Fbird I had and it was fine, just had to downshift manually.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

can be done,but not reccomended...

I have had a few TH350's with the detent cable disconnected,but I was told by tranny shops to fix it ASAP,it can affect the clutches if it holds the "passing gear" valve in the valve body open partway...they said if I insisted on leaving it dissconnected,to make sure it was pushed IN all the way,where it would normally be at idle if it were hooked up correctly,and to tape or wire tie it there permanently...several guys at two different places had a difference of opinon--some said its not harmful,others insisted I'd be back in 2 weeks for a rebuild!--I just got another cable at the boneyard and fixed it!! :screwy: :crazy:

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ok sounds like i'll be allright then. I would just hook it back up but the carb i have on is different than stock chevy(cadilac) so it was mant for the th400 electric cick down. Thanks for the replies guys!

10. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Hmm maybe that is why mine burned up. :D Glad it did I hated that POS Now I have an SM465 / NP205 :saweet: