Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Running without rear brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gibby2268, Apr 6, 2007.

1. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

There's a reason I'm asking....basically I've got a 79 beater that I haven't even driven yet...has the 1/2 tons under it. I have a trade worked out for some 3/4 ton axles, wheels and tires, but I haven't picked em up yet. Even when I do, I'm not going to be doing the swap too soon, because I'm waiting for all the other parts to do the lift, rear shackle flip and crossover.

Anyway, I just got the truck running and thought I was getting close to being able to take it for a little spin, was going to bleed the brakes when I found that both rear cylinders are shot. One bleeder valve is broken off flush in the hole and the other one is stripped, will just turn and never move . Since I'm going to be swapping axles anyway, I dont want to put any more money or work into these axles, but I really dont want to have it just sitting there until I do the swap. This thing will not be on the street until after I do get the swap done, but I'd like to be able to beat around the fields aorund the house. Also, its not just the wheel cylinders that would need replacing, pretty much the entire rear lines are shot and rotten, so that would have to be replaced as well. My question is this...could I plug the proportioning valve where the rear line comes out and run it with just front brakes? I know that was alot to say jsut to ask that question, but I wanted everyone to understand the reasoning behind it, and not just say, "no way, too dangerous, you're f'n crazy," or whatever....although I may be f'n crazy, I dunno, just an idea I had. I know it wouldn't stop on a dime but its not going to be on the street...so would it work?

2. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

When I done my 3/4 ton swap I done the rear first and did not bleed the brakes just hookem up and it took nose dives pretty bad. Felt like the nose of the truck was going to hit the ground. It did great power braking and made a smoke show:D .

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Plug the circuit well and keep it off the roads if you must drive it.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It'll work in a pinch, but it's not safe and you'll notice a huge difference. To get you home, no problem, to drive around for a few weeks, problem.

I sprang a leak on my old '76 Malibu driving back from college many years ago. t was night, but I still had 350 miles to go. I found a hardware store just before it closed, and cut the line and capped it with a brass compression cap. I was bitting my nails the whole way home, I counted on one hand the number of times I hit the brakes. Was not fun.

5. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, thats what I needed to hear!