Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

running without the top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4k20, May 1, 2002.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i removed the top off of my 75 jimmy about 2 weeks ago its rained almost everyday since what do you guys do when you get caught in a unexpected shower ? i have been looking into getting a soft top but i am wanting to put my money in a 6inch lift and new paint job first. i just would like some ideals on what i might could do to keep from getting wet

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Throw together a cheap safari top, like grim did, I'm sure you could even go cheaper if you had too just to keep the rain out...

3. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Pull into a gas station with a cover over it. It has worked for me more than once

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When I still had my 72 K/5 I always carried a tarp with me. If it started to rain real heavely, I'd pull over and tarp it.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

line-x the interior. then when it is done raining park facing up hill and sloped to one side. all the water will come out...
    grant
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Or do like I did and just drill a few 1/8 in. holes in the floor for drains. Not real fast but it worked.

On my CJ I had 1 1/2" holes in the floors w/ plugs. When I would come out the other side of a mud/water hole I would feel around till I found them and pull the plugs and let it drain. Put em back in and head back thru.

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

I have a tarp that I crimped bungies on that fits just right on the truck and I pull the bungies tight to hook them to the wheel wells. While driving I found out the seceret is keep moving. As long as I'm moving over 30 MPH the rain blows right over my head. It just sucks when you hit a red light.

8. Pure Insanity

Keeping moving in the rain only works for so long. The rain will swirl around and soak the back side of the windshield sooner or later. No wipers on the inside. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

When you get caught in the rain at a red lite......just sit there calmly and smile. You wont believe the looks you get! LOL!!!

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I just put my top back on a few days ago AFTER it rained. BUT I do always have the tarp in the truck if the top is off, if I need to cover it in a hurry, I slam it shut in the tailgate and pull it over to the windshield and slam the doors over it. Takes roughly 30 seconds.

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I got a raincoat. I ran without my top for 5 months on my '73. I covered the seats wtih plastic bags and dried them off before i sat down.
    Also, I never had issue with rain running down the inside of the windshield. Maybe I was lucky /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Aaron

11. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

"When you get caught in the rain at a red lite......just sit there calmly and smile. You wont believe the looks you get! LOL!!! "

That's GREAT!!! LOL!

12. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I believe Grim was looking into pricing for a bikini style top for us 73-75 guys. Has anyone heard any more info on this??

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

and here in we see the value of the 2nd gen half-cab. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They are talking about it and looking at the cost to produce. Hope to hear from them about it soon.

15. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Anxious to hear about the final product and cost.

Thanks Grim.

16. Pure Insanity

I wouldnt have a problem unless it was a hard rain and I was at like 55-60 for a while. It only happened twice that I can remember. You have to be going fast enuff to cause turbulance I guess.

Used to happen all the time when I had my CJ. Even w/ the top on and the back window rolled up it would swirl in and soak me.

17. Pure Insanity

I met a guy that lives in the same town as I do that seen me doing just that. He seen pics of the Jeep and remembered seeing me coming in from Tampa one day (about 30-40 miles away) in a killer downpour. He said he would never forget seeing me just sitting at a lite w/ this big $hit eatin grin on my face totally soaked out. He told me that all he could think was "What ever hes been smoking....I want some!" LOL!! It was one of the few times I really got drenched.

Besides theres no sense getting mad about it. You just look like an idiot sitting there all mad when you willingly took the top off. Heck your askin for it! Its no different than riding a motorcycle in the rain. IMO.

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My seats and me still get wet when it rains if my hardtop is off...just not quite as wet.

Rene

19. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i like that ideal it sounds simple that way i can even go mudding with the top off and just rinse it out later with the water hose or just wait until it rains and park it on a hill .