Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Runs best at 160? On a carbed motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 20, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have noticed that when I let my truck idle for a minute or two then take it out it runs best right at about 160 degrees on the temp guage. I mean it sounds way different pickup feels better, not WAY better but better. Anyone have ideas why its like this? ANd I mean it really sounds better. Sounds like a different truck. I don't know how to describe it, my friend's dad's 383 Big Block Mopar sounds similar when he gets on it pretty good. I seem to think its the secondaries opening up and for some reason tehy open sooner when its cooler. Anyone have an opinion? I am close to puting a 160 degree thermostat in it.

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

What kind of intake are you running? I come from a hot rodding background and cool air = more horsepower. If you are running a cast iron intake you will notice a difference as cast iron holds heat where an aluminum one will shed it faster making the air/fuel charge in the intake runners cooler therefore denser. Many drag racers will keep a bag of ice on their intake until race time to keep it cool. You can also run a high rise intake or put in a carb spacer. If it is running good at that temp I would just check the plugs to make sure they aren't fouling. If you live in an amissions area it may change your emissions for testing running that cool.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I checked my plugs after a good drive at normal operating temp(somewhere between 190 and 200) and they were a nice crisp golden brown, looked really good to me. And yeah I run a cast iron intake. I wanted to put a carb spacer we have in our shop on but never got bolts long enough. I will do that in a day or two just to see if it makes a difference.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I had a 2.0l EAO that ran like a striped a$$ ape at 160* As it warmed up past 160* the mileage got better, but the power fell off.

Could be the tune you have on/in the engine.