Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Runs rough after tune up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Jan 17, 2005.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Gave my truck a tuneup- plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and all the filters. I did not reset the timing...I don't have a timing gun, or know how to use one.:(

Truck runs better than it did...lost the hesitation it had, ~0.5 better mpg, and smoother on the road. I have noticed when sitting idling it runs pretty rough...enough to send a noticable vibration into the cab. Does it hot or cold. Do I need to put a timing gun on it, or something else??? Maybe its actually just running decent and I'm a confused pussy. It's a stock 305 i should add...and I checked for any vaccum leaks.

PS My 700r4 is about to eat it.:mad::mad::mad:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If its running great you may just need to raise the idle just a hair . My 305 ran great after the first tuneup , but idled like that , I set my idle by ear . When I finally got myself a tach I was surprised that my by ear was around 650 rpm , and I was able to lower it just a tad to 550- 600 rpm without the rough idle :k5: :k5:

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

:doah::doah: I bet that's it. I turned it way down last time cause it kept dieseling, now why didn't I think of it. Thanks dude.:thumb:

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

at leaste yours runs after a tune up. i should have left mine alone.:mad: