Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust-Any ideas on what to do?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 88sub4x4, Jan 13, 2003.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Every time I look at my sub. I find more and more rust. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I looked at pictures of my truck a year ago and I'm amazed by how much more rust has showed up. I don't know whether to give up the truck for a 92+ since I have yet to see one start to rot, but I hate to give up the solid front axle. I was thinking about going down south and getting a rust free 2wd and switching bodies over, but I think it would be more work then the truck is worth, or should I find a rust free 87-91 3/4 ton 4WD and start all my mods all over again? Anybody have any ideas? Sorry this is so looooong. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Every time I look at my sub. I find more and more rust.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you on that, man. But, I'm a fighter....no way am I gonna let some rust get the best of me. Around the fenderwells...bring out a sawzall, rear doors...find replacements, rockers....bondo and more bondo. Well, that's what I'm gonna have to do, anyway.
    It's really up to you, and your wallet.
    If I had to do it over again...I'd get a rust free sub from the south...same year though, and start the buildup on that. Sure would be less work than a body swap, in my opinion. Think of all that electrical junk /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

move to vegas! no rust here!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif sorry i had to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif honestly i have no idea how to get rid of rust or stop it.

4. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Wasn't '92 when they started using galvanized steel for body parts on cars? Personally I would fight the rust. Exactly how bad is it?

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks...way to rub it in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Why would I move down there when I've got 20 degrees and a sharp wind up here /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. muddysub

Wasn't '92 when they started using galvanized steel for body parts on cars?

[/ QUOTE ] no my 89 has it, that's why the paint comes off, GM didn't know how to make paint stick to the galvanized steel yet.

7. nevercomplete

Must be nice not having to worry about rust.

8. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

try going to an auto body shop and getting an estimate on what needs to be done and how much its gonna cost.
    if its not rusted through too bad you can grind it off and primer the rust on the body and deal with matching the paint later.
    if its underbody rust and its just on the surface id grind and chisel the undercoating and hit it with a spray on or rollon bed liner,plasti-kote or invest in one of those electic rust protectors.
    rust sucks i know my 85 is rusted on every panel and its more holes then truck now.when you get into buying and replacing panels is where it gets expensive.
    and a full body swap on a burb must be a HUGE pain in the @$$
    either way.goodluck

9. muddysub

Must be nice not having to worry about rust.

[/ QUOTE ] it is! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

step 1. bang head against wall and say what i said when i bought my sub. "ahhhhhhhhhh" than regret that you didn't buy a southern truck like i WISH i had... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

step 2. get over it and hug your truck say your sorry to it and get on with fixing it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

step 3. i decided that a body replacement was out of the question so i first fixed the major rot on the cross beams by replaceing them with .125 wall or so square tube.. it really wasn't as hard as i thought..

step 4. cut off rusted rockers and stuff.. i replaced my doors and so far one front fender with rust free junk yard ones. as for the tailgate i ripped it off and replaced it with a homemade thing..

i'am just now at the point where the truck is over the hill of fixing stuff and i'am very happy i stuck with it.. good luck man.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

My 89 has the paint problem but i still get alittle rust. The body dosn't really worry me so much as the frame will. You can buy just about every panel you need to repair the rust. It's when your out flexin the frame and it goes snap! from all the rust. I'm lookin at either hammerite or line-x on the under carrage. I plan on using a marine grade primer and paint for the rest of the truck to solve the rust problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Muddysubs assesment of the situation... both my trucks came from northern states at some point, and show extensive signs of rot and rust repair... but, since they got here, they've not rusted anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in seriousness tho, someoone did a tech article on replacing rotten rockerpanels with heavy gauge, thickwall box tubing, to make for a high strength integrated rock slider. might be worth while to search for that one...

good luck with the rust, I'm rootin' fo you!

Edit: found the link to one rocker replacement suggesiton... http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/knocker/

-Rich

13. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I just spent an hour looking over the truck to find exactly how much rust there was. Both front fenders are unrepairable, but they bolt on so no biggie, the rockers, rear inner fenderwells, all 4 doors, both quarter panels and the tailgate, all have extensive holes. Sure, I can bolt on new doors and a tailgate for $2000, and a body shop told me 1200 to fix the rockers and quarters and handmake new rear wheelwells since they are unavailable. The funny thing is the chassis and floor are perfect. Look like they are from the south. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So i can spend 3200 plus paint(I can do myself.) And have a rust free burb for a few years until the rot starts over again. Thats a good start at saving for a rust free truck (If there really is such a thing!) Now, just to decide whether to get a 91 or older, or a 92 and up. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. nevercomplete

Sounds pretty bad. Your right it would take a lot of work and $ to fix/replace all that rust. If you decide to get a different sub may I suggest a '91. That way you get to keep the solid front axle and you can get items like the 4L80E transmission. Just an idea. Good luck.