Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust? Anyone??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Sep 7, 2001.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

To all the notorious people that rebuilt their project vehicles...
    Hi..
    My name is Michael, I just bought a 1977 K/5 Blazer, 3 years ago.
    I used to do body work on an old 1972 Buick Skylark 4 door, (Wish it was 2 instead of 4) and a $67.00 1972 Chevy Chevelle which was rusted pretty bad, I could do the Fred Flinstone if I kept hitting the floor.
    I live here in Honolulu Hawaii and as you folks know that I am surrounded by the ocean.
    And thats rust heaven to all vehicles here.
    Well I'll get to the point....
    My 77' Blazer is pretty rusted out, the front fenders are pretty much rusted on the bottom edges, the rocker-panels are gone, probably part of the floor on both sides.
    The quarter-panels are rusted along the wheel wells and the tailgate is held by one cable and you can actually see through it now.
    The doors are cracked and also rusted out on the bottom, there are no windows on the doors and the interior is missing (Except for the two front seats which are original with the center console that I can throw in the back) There is no back seat.
    The shell seems to be fine but the hood has to go.
    The 350 engine seems to be backfiring alot as I go up hills and I lose power (Only going 45mph!).
    IS THIS REALLY WORTH RESTORING?????

The good thing about this blazer though is that the frame is straight, the suspension has been redone and the transfer case was overhauled.

I need some pointers guys and gals.
    Is this really worth restoring.
    Here in Hawaii shipping can be quite expensive and we do have alot of blazer fanatics here also.
    Just need some advise...
    Any suggestions????
    Michael

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer
    Running over those big waves that rocks us

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd definitely restore it - maybe even go fiberglass and be rust proof. You could put on a full convertible shell, and a 88-98 front end conversion and have a totally unique rig that would turn heads, and be a blast to drive.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

4. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Grim Reaper &amp; Pugsley are not the only ones here, don't be shy.
    You guys and gals can help in any way possible.
    Any catalogs or manuals would help very much.
    I don't like fiberglass though, just want to keep it original (I've seen fiberglass shatter in an accident, it wasn't a pretty sight)
    You know all you boggers out there, just give a few pointers, used parts are great, but new is better...
    Michael

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer
    Running over those big waves that rocks us

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The problem is your location. Good tubs show up for sale all the time (front end wrecks). locating a rust free tub is no big deal if you don't mind the drive. you can get clean bodies for $500. While here we can drag it home you got to have it shipped across a pretty good chunk of water. You would probably end up spending $2k to drag a rust free AZ tub home plus the cost of the tub.
    I would say if you can weld and have the gear your probably going to just need to order from LMC or one of the other companies that suplies parts and or buy used parts off the for sale forum.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

6. blazerbum

blazerbum Registered Member

my 73 about the same except the running gears are good just pick up parts a little at a time , and keep working on it thats what im doing my blazers about 5 different colors but its comming together