Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Rust Bullet" anyone used it??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Dec 5, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so has anybody had any extensive use with this "Rust Bullet" stuff i believe Canmore did a tech article on?? i was gonna use it on the top of the cab in the k5 cuz i sanded and sprayed some rustoleum primer (some sort of primer to prevent rust) and it failed miserably in a couple months. so is this stuff any different, what application is it on, how long has it been on, etc?? thanks..

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did you put paint over the primer? Primer alone is not meant to withstand the weather, and will rust through VERY quickly. You have to seal it with paint to prevent rust.

4. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced the entire floor in my 89 and before i welded them in,I sanded the sheetmetal sections and then covered them with the rust bullet.
    Then i used Krylon rust tough(semi flat)black over the dried rust bullet.The rust bullet goes on very easy and covers excellent.I wont know till after this Ohio winter(we use way too much salt here)how well it holds up but from what i have read it is all about the proper preparation .If the surface is prepared properly ,the rust bullet will do what it is supposed to. :D

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just another option of what I did. My roof was peeling bad enough for rust to start coming through. I sanded it down and Herculined the top. Well, the Herc wasn't thick enough or I didn't apply enough and the rust started to come back. So then I got the joyful task of removing the Herc. Got it all off and sanded down again and had Ameriguard in Tulsa coat the top with their bedliner stuff. No rust and I don't even wash it up there and thats going on 2yrs at least. Best mod I ever did because now I don't have to wax the top anymore, just rinse it off and be good. If the rust isn't too bad, I bet it would be about the same price for the bedlinered top as opposed to the Rust Bullet, however I haven't priced any of the Rust Bullet. But if you are going to do some more areas in your truck, then maybe you should go with the Rust Bullet.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Theres this stuff you can get, its called "rust Mort" you can get it at a local automotive paint store. It works great, just get the crusty stuff off first with a wire brush or pressure washer, then wipe on the rust mort wait till it dries and repeat in areas as neccessary. It will only take on coat but what this stuff does is turn rust into primer. It has acid in it which eats the rust up but then it turns a hard grayish milky color. Spray paint on that and I gurantee you will not have rust come back through again. Probably in your case there is no flaky rust to get off so just put it on in the spots with rust and wait to dry. Drying time is less than a few minutes. Dont put it on bare metal with no rust because it wont dry wheres theres not rust. I used that stuff on my 60 which was way rusty and theres is not a spot of rust that has come back through after a few years.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never used rustbullet, but I need something similar for my tow rig build up. Where can you buy RB?

j

8. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

jek, as far as i know the only place you can get it is from their website, posted above. i think i might give 'er a whirl in the next month or so... thanks for all the help everyone.. btw, k5er4life, how much prep work is involved in that, like do i have to strip the primer or what, is it textured when finished? thanks..

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Very little to no prep work. Just get off any flaky rust and wipe on the rust mort. Dont wipe it on the areas where there is no rust because the stuff doesnt dry wheres theres no rust. Its not a big deal if you get it on painted surfaces you just have to wipe it off with a dry rag before you paint. The surface texture will be the same as what your rust surface looks like. Rust mort is a liquid, when its dry it has a milky gray color to it and your just paint on that. Thats your primer, stuff works absolutely great, I got my 60 shipped to me from NY and that thing had rust like you wouldnt believe, no that I rust morted it and painted no rust is showing through at all.