Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust Bullet update? UPDATED BY CanmoreK5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Metrodps, May 21, 2006.

1. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK not being a full member I can't pm you guys who have used it!
    So here is the question how has it held up and did the rust come back through? Getting ready to start floor restoration and want to protect the metal.
    Thanks for the help all of you guys have been. :bow:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have been wondering the same thing, it seems awesome i wanna order some soon, but how has it held up to guys in the salt belts and such?

3. Metrodps

I am disabled (bad lungs and heart) so I have very limited income and have to watch where my money goes. The review at CK5 sounded great and he sais he wanted to see how it held up. However they never did a follow up on the review.

I have every thing out or lose on inside and need to know if SB is a great as it sounds! All I read about the product tells what it does but not how it held up :( .
    Waiting to hear back from the guys who have used the stuff

4. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

never used rust bullet, but used POR 15, and that stuff is great. I don't live in salt country though... takes a little prep, but i think its worth it

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I know the Porsche guys use POR-15 and swear by it. But they aren't scraping the underbody on rocks and such. I'd like to know how RB holds up as we're going to tackle the rust on my buddys '79 bronco over the next few months.

6. Metrodps

*BUMP* I am sure that I will herc it but how does the Rust Bullet hold up come on guys the site did a review on applying it.

Now we need to know how it held up!!

herc linned the tire / gas can carrier already.
    [​IMG]

7. sinner4

sinner4 Registered Member

I have used POR15, only been on a driver for a few months. Gona take years to see if it works. Tough as nails, takes weeks for it to wear off the hands. Also after using the stuff make sure the lid and can is sealed with a bagie. If the product is between the lid and can, it will be there forever....

8. stockk5

weeks to get off hands?....i had the same problem with paint and super glue...i used some 180 sand paper on my hands...works pretty well if your bored enough....just a stupid tip...:D

9. stockk5

so yes.. updates...

10. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Updates would be nice, I am considering painting my ENTIRE k5, body, frame, parts with rust bullet =).

11. Metrodps

Well a member can pm the guy who wrote the review and ask him to post. His name is CanmoreK5 he said "I also wanted to test the effectiveness of the product over the winter to see if it stands up as advertised, and a topcoat would only make it harder to see if any rust was able to make a comeback".

So ask him to post an update please!

12. stockk5

yeah... im still very very curious how this lasted over the winters... anyone pleasse, 100bucks its a ton to drop for something i dont know works or not.

13. Metrodps

What the smart guy said above and are you coming to the east coast get together in July 2007?

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sent Canmore a pm for you. I'm sure he'll follow up soon.

15. Metrodps

Thanks alot JC have membership in budget for July. Out of all who read post your the only member who did.

:D

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Okay, okay, I'm here......

Well, I would have to say that the Rust Bullet held up at least as well as I expected. As I stated in my article, good prep is a MUST, and in a couple of areas I was unable to prep as well as I wanted, simply because I chose to apply the product while the truck was still totally intact. Also, the underside of my truck was in rough shape in a few spots to begin with, and I don't think that ANY product on the market could keep that kind of rust at bay indefinitely.

However, in the areas where I had no obstructions and was able to do a thorough prep job, there is no sign of the rust making a comeback. These areas include the gas tank skidplate, the cab floor on the outside of the frame rails, and the frame itself. Some of the nooks and crannies are starting to show A LITTLE rust poking through, but only in very small patches. And some of those could be attributed to me missing them while applying the second coat.

My overall impression 8 months later? Rust Bullet is a solid product, as long as you don't do a crappy prep job. I would also advise that you dismantle your truck as much as possible before you apply the product, which will enable you to get to all the areas that need protection without having to reach around axles, driveshafts, etc... My only complaint is that the color doesn't change as it dries, so you have to go by feel if you decide to paint it on. Once again, if the truck is taken apart you won't be fighting to get around obstacles. Remember that I applied it with a brush- maybe spraying it on would be easier? :dunno:

And make sure you wear gloves and long sleeves. Rust Bullet will NOT come off your skin for at least 4 days once it's on there. Ask me how I know........:doah:

17. stockk5

great! thanks for the update, i figured the prep was super key with everything. just gonna have to have a ton of patients when wire wheeling everything

18. Metrodps

THANK YOU Canmore :bow: :bow: :bow: We that asked appreciate the update. Just ordered mine a few seconds ago. The review you did was very good it helped me to decide on it and made me check their web site. What you wrote sealed the deal!!

Thanks so much brother! Hope to see you at the east coast get together we are planing in PA for July 14, 2007

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Hehehe... you said reach around. :haha: