Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust Bullet Update???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Canadian Trailblazer, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Canadian Trailblazer

Canadian Trailblazer Registered Member

Just wondering if CanmoreK5 had any updates on how the 'Rust Bullet' is holding up on his K5. I read the review and I'm really thinking of putting it on my '69 K5 while I'm cleaning it up this winter. I found a distributor very close to me, in Whitby, ON. What's the verdict Paul? Good stuff or not?

Mark

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just redid my lawnmower deck, which sees it share of driveway gravel while mowing,(crossing the drive), I'll try to remember to post up the end of summer.

3. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I did my some floor braces last spring and it's holding up great (Well the stuff that didn't get pulled up when upgrading the floor.). I am going to be painting my WHOLE k5 starting next weekend with Rust bullet Black shell I will be posting a ton of pics. I really do trust this stuff. My buddy was building a '79 truck last summer but he ended up stopping and it was coated with rust bullet and it sat out side all winter with 10 feet of snow covering the truck. It's all starting to melt and there is no rust what so ever. It still strong, etc, etc.
    Thanks
    Adam

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey, Mark. Good to see you around again. Sorry I didn't reply sooner- I must have missed this one somehow........:doah:

Anyhow, the product is holding up very well in the places where I was able to do a really good prep job. That REALLY seems to be the key to achieving good results. The truck stayed completely intact when I did the job, and because of that, some areas didn't get as much attention as others with the wire brush. I'm now seeing some surface rust in those areas- of course, it's still 90% better than it was when I started. The sections that were easy to prep and paint are still pretty much perfect, 2 winters later....:thumb:

5. goofy1

goofy1 1/2 ton status

is rust bullet better than POR-15? Has anyone used both?

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've used both and like Rust Bullet better.

POR15 will shrink and peel over time if exposed to sunlight and also seems to be REALLY finicky when it comes to application. Rust Bullet seems to not be so finicky and to not peel or shrink.
    I had some extra Rust Bullet left over last summer from my Tracker and I just goobed it onto my snow blower and my trailer frame. The blower seems to have held up pretty good and the trailer frame looks like it didn't have anything on it all winter long.

It's also slightly cheaper from what I've found.

7. Canadian Trailblazer

Canadian Trailblazer Registered Member

I've been really very busy working on that other type of 4x4 (a HEEP). Now that it is almost done I can give the K5 the proper attention it deserves. I think I will buy a whole gallon of the Rust Bullet stuff and give it a try. I will probably use some on the Heep so I don't have to rebuild it next year. :haha: