Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust Bullet vs POR 15

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Sep 14, 2006.

?

Which is better?

1. Rust Bullet

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. POR 15

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. strip it to bare metal and run it NEKKID in the salty winter

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Which is better, which is cheaper, which lasts longer?

I will need to undercoat my new body panels and my frame before winter, so which is the better one? Or any alternatives there may be out there.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

wow is it tempting to vote nekkid, especially since you are in Mass. I have used por15 on tons of stuff and it works great. anything else I can't attest to.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

same here..

I've used only POR-15 myself..I feel it works good UNDER a truck,or where it wont get UV exposure..but I've had decent results with plain old rustoleum too,if you use their "rusty metal primer" first..its a lot cheaper than POR-15,but you'll have to re-do it in a few years..POR-15 is permanent,as long as the sun doesn't shine on it..especially if you get it on yourself!..

I think they have UV resistant POR-15 now..I bought it at the swap meet in Amherst NH when I used to sell stuff there..20 bucks a pint!:eek1: ..but it does go a long way if you brush it..

I never tried using that "Miracle Paint" that has similar claims ,or any Bedliner stuff,except for "Dupli-Color",which I think sucked donkey cock...it peeled off in a few weeks,despite a very intense cleaning with laquer thinner, and hours of wire brushing as reccomended!..and it was on the floor,INSIDE the truck,not the bed!..I definately wont buy that crap again,even if its 5 bucks a gallon at "Job Lot"...:mad:

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

First let me say that there is no permanent cure for rust. I only wish. Let me also say good luck in finding a permanent topcoat for products like these.

I have used both of these products and both are good in the right application. First of all, Rust Bullet is easier, cheaper and faster. This is because RB replaces metal ready, POR-15 and Blackcote. It also seems to offer a little better protection. The only problem is that it's silver and I don't know of a good primer to tie paint to it.

For POR-15 (maybe RB as well) you have to completely cover the item with it. When it's cured, it is just like a plastic coating. If there is an edge, the rust will travel under it until you can peel the whole thing off like a sheet. They won't tell you this on the website, of course. Think about it, how can you possibly prevent rust from traveling underneath? How deeply can the coating penetrate INTO the steel? However deep, that's where the rust will travel. So, it is good for chassis parts and the like, assuming that you cover the whole piece. It will hold up for several years before the road salt starts to creep it back. That is much better than rattle can paint.

For body work, I'm not sure there is anything that actually goes over rust and stops it. I tried POR-15 inside my door jambs and on some other areas of sheet metal and I can always go back in a year or two and peel the POR-15 up to reveal new rust underneath. I think the best bet is to get all of the rust out with a grinder or whatever and then apply a good product to the new steel. I have always wondered what it would be like to start with a bare body and spray everything inside and out with POR-15 before priming and painting. If the paint actually stayed on, it might help the body last a long time.

Now the POR "Blackcote" topcoat is junk. I have tried numerous methods of applying this stuff and it always starts peeling off in 6 months or less. It also turns grey, just not nearly as fast as regular POR-15.

I had to refinish part of a rear quarter panel several months ago and I stripped bare and applied Rust Bullet with high density foam rollers before putting paint back on. I will see how it holds up as time passes.

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I have only used POR 15.

I used it on both fresh steel and sanded. I used it on my axles, and on my rear channel bumper.

It brushes on and dries really smooth without brush marks. It is really, REALLY durable. I didn't find that rust affected the paint like Blue mentioned but I used multiple coats, and it was thick steel, not like sheet metal that peels as it rusts. The sun does affect the paint but only by dulling the finish.

As testiment to its tuffness, I decided to bedline the rear bumper, so I blasted the bumper and even that wouldn't take the paint off without really givin'er!

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

8. Chevy305

Well, I'm not using it to coat my whole truck, just the underside of the body like the inner rocker panels, floor boards, wheel wells, and probably eventually the frame. And where even else I can put the stuff.

9. Uzaree

Uzaree Registered Member

I've used POR-15 also. You have to buy the metal etch and metal prep to get the full advantage of it. I tried it out 2 years ago on the frame of a 72 Nova and some parts, didn't cover the complete thing but haven't had any peel back yet.

10. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have tried both, POR-15 is harder to use, but holds up better IMO. The Rust bullet is easy, but does not adhere as well.

11. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

CanmoreK5 used Rustbullet and he did a review for CK5 http://coloradok5.com/rustbulletreview.shtml

I asked as well as several others how it held up and here is the reply
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174585

If your lazy:

12. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I have only used POR-15. The stuff works...

13. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

14. Chevy305

uhh...

so I guess we are all tied up?

I think I like the Eastwood stuff, sounds real easy to apply too.
    What do you guys think of it?